From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominee 2018/19 questions
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 23:31:13
1 On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 10:37:00 AM EDT Christopher Díaz Riveros wrote:
2 > El mar, 26-06-2018 a las 09:11 +0200, Michał Górny escribió:
3 > > Hello, everyone.
4 > >
5 > > Since the nominees for the new Council aren't eager to publish
6 > > manifestos, and nobody seems to be asking questions (yet some people are
7 > > leaving hostile half-comments), I'd like to start a thread dedicated to
8 > > asking the nominees (who accepted) questions related to their views of
9 > > the upcoming term. At the same time, I'd like to ask all nominees to
10 > > answer all the questions provided by community members.
11 > >
12 > > I have started a more detailed page about nominees [1], and I will be
13 > > adding answers to the questions there. Please note that I will try to
14 > > summarize them to shortly fit into the table. If someone doesn't like
15 > > my summary, please let me know what to put there. That said, if someone
16 > > thinks there's another kind of useful metadata to add to the table, I'd
17 > > appreciate that as well.
18 > >
19 > > To improve readability of the thread, I'll ask my question in reply to
20 > > myself ;-).
21 > >
22 > > Also, please keep the nominees in CC, in case they don't subscribe to
23 > > gentoo-project.
24 > >
25 > > [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/Council_elections_2018
26 >
27 > Sounds like a good idea, here are my questions:
28 >
29 > What do council-nominees think about the current lack of manpower in Gentoo
30 > as a whole, and how do you propose to confront this situation, with facts?
33 I cannot speak historically (>3 years) of what may or may not have been a lack
34 of manpower, but in recent years I would agree that there is a lack of
35 manpower.
36
37 I do believe there are efforts to address this coming from our own developers.
38
39 One such example is Michał's (mgorny) efforts with Github as the conduit. His
40 automation, CI bot, and personal involvement has shown fruit in the form of
41 new developers (sbraz as an example). Such avenues like this can be exploited
42 to bridge the gap of "getting involved" within Gentoo. The ease of
43 contribution, abiity to review, and ultimately incorporate the changes offered
44 by users is conducive to public satisfaction and positive PR.
45
46 Furthermore, I have had the opportunity to see some of the flyers and other
47 "swag" given out at such events as FOSDEM. This is a traditional approach,
48 but highly effective. It also lends to estabilishing the personal aspect of
49 meeting other's who share a similair interest. My intent is to begin this
50 same effort in the United States (mostly my area) as I do not believe it is as
51 prevalent as Europe. I do not have anything empirical to validate this so it
52 is pure perception.
53
54 > In the same line that previous question, what global decisions do you
55 > consider necessary in order to solve the manpower issue?
58 I discussed it prior to this question, but I think that ultimately the current
59 efforts scaled properly would address these concerns.
60
61 > Finally, and this is just a personal opinion, right now I see many devs
62 > trying to pull Gentoo to different sides, but what I can't see is a set of
63 > common beliefs that join us all in the same vision of what Gentoo should be
64 > or do in the near future... how could you address this issue?
67 I understand how you would perceive that the distribution is being pulled in
68 many different directions, but I would offer that many of our developers are
69 passionate in their commitment to the distribution. This leads to their
70 passion sometimes lending to heated discussions and very opinionated
71 conversation. I view it as a sign of health. It is not simply a hobby for
72 them to develop within Gentoo, but their contributions become an investment.
73
74 For those contributing from their place of work (we have many "paid"
75 developers within Gentoo) Gentoo should be a solid investment. As such, I
76 believe it would be noble of us as a council and distribution to set forth
77 clear goals ensuring the health of the distribution.
78
79 Some things that come to mind:
80
81 Ensuring the recruitment of new developers is a priority. This would include
82 reviewing not only our PR efforts, but also ensuring a modern and effective
83 approach is made to screen them. Some have expressed that the developer quiz
84 is an antiquated process. While I believe this has merit, I do not believe it
85 can be entirely exempted. I do believe we could rely on "letting the code do
86 the talking" more. Especially with platforms allowing individuals to
87 contribute and have reviews done. This also does not absolve simple reviews
88 such as the purpose of mailing lists etc. Good developers are not only
89 technically savvy, but also socially pleasant.
90
91 > And if you don't consider this an issue, because of being a community-driven
92 > project etc, how else do you explain the lack of public information about
93 > what Gentoo has done to improve the issues it had 8~10 years ago? If you
94 > search Gentoo in google, besides our official pages, there are a bunch of
95 > articles addressing Gentoo issues that seem to be old but are not "solved"
96 > properly anywhere. Right now I have to go to work, but I'll try to add some
97 > references later today or when requested.
98 >
99 > Best regards,
100
101 Yes, please reply with some references. I have an idea of the type of
102 articles you are probably reading. If those are similair, I would offer that
103 many can be biased or simply not important factors. Gentoo has had it's ups
104 an down over the years just as any distro has. I have been a user for nearly
105 15 years and experienced this from afar in most cases. Bootstrapping from
106 stage 1's and all sorts of fun.
107
108 -Aaron