From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 05:16:48
1 On 02/13/18 16:12, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman schrieb:
3 >>>>> Suppose that the council decides to accept an appeal from comrel. Is it
4 >>>>> a conflict of interest for a member of the council who is also a member
5 >>>>> of comrel to vote in the appeal? If it isn't, it is at least a pretty
6 >>>>> strong perception that it is.
7 >>>>>
8 >>>> Why? How? Exactly what sort of conflicting interest is supposed to be
9 >>>> present?
10 >>>
11 >>> I think in Comrel vs. Council is not a conflict of interest, but rather
12 >>> throwing the appeals process off balance. Can you expect someone to neutrally
13 >>> review material and actions (question the authenticity of evidence, identify
14 >>> potential misconduct, etc.) that they themselves used to build the case
15 >>> against the reprimanded?
16 >>>
17 Given the interactions that I have had with Comrel members acting on
18 behalf of Comrel (leaving aside interactions with Comrel members acting
19 in other roles as I have no reason to track such interactions and they
20 are not relevant here); yes, I would expect that of them.
23 >> I hope that Comrel does not consider it their main duty to build cases
24 >> against community members. They're supposed to investigate, mediate,
25 >> and take action if necessary. They aren't prosecutors.
26 >
27 > (I'm taking this back to -project where it belongs)
28 >
29 > But typically only Comrel actions can be appealed. Investigations or
30 > mediation not.
33 > Best regards,
34 > Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn