From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] New project: GURU [Gentoo User Repository, Unreviewed]
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 18:44:26
1 On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 1:32 PM Mike <mpagano@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I guess we should figure out the level of support users can expect to
4 > receive from using this GURU repo. If someone forks a package I
5 > maintain and then a user has issues I'm not sure how much 'official'
6 > support they can expect. Certainly for complicated ebuilds, with
7 > 'multiple right' ways of doing things, this could result in an
8 > 'official' maintainer being at odds with the 'unoffical' one. Maybe we
9 > have that now?
10
11 The original proposal raised that question. IMO we shouldn't allow
12 namespace conflicts with the main repo. If the main repo has
13 courier-imap then no package can use that name in GURU. Now, if
14 somebody wants to maintain some fork of the package under a different
15 name that is fine.
16
17 And again I don't think we want to make it so that when a user
18 installs one random GURU package that they automatically start pulling
19 in every other package in that repo like they would a regular overlay.
20 That will make it much harder for them to stay aware of potential
21 issues.
22
23 That problem can actually exist in the main repo, but in practice it
24 doesn't come up much. If somebody wanted to stick a renamed chromium
25 ebuild in the main repo that just defaults to duckduckgo or whatever
26 that would technically be allowed by policy I believe. However, most
27 devs are just going to use user patch support to do this sort of
28 thing, especially considering the effort required to maintain a
29 parallel package like that. There have been similar arguments over
30 default USE flags (and associated patches) for stuff like openssh and
31 bitcoin as well. At least within the main repo we have a pretty
32 well-defined escalation path for QA/Council/etc.
35 Rich