From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>, gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Question about a installer for Gentoo.
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 16:03:21
1 On 23:02 Sun 10 Oct , Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Dale wrote:
3 > > There is a discussion on the forums that Gentoo just must have a installer.
4 > >  I'm hoping that someone on this list who worked on or has very good
5 > > knowledge of the past installer could tell me exactly why this didn't work.
6 > >  Could someone take a few minutes to post a reply, on list or off list, as
7 > > to why a installer is not feasible for Gentoo?
8 >
9 > it didnt have a maintainer to keep it up to date and address the bugs filed
10
11 Nearly all the people working on it were a lot more interested in the
12 automated installation case on servers than in single-desktop use and
13 knew exactly what they wanted to do, so quickstart made more sense for
14 them. The lower complexity meant less bugs, and it could fit onto
15 netboot images even on restrictive hardware.
16
17 I tend to agree that a GUI installer that lets you install without
18 having a clue about Gentoo is a bad idea because it removes our
19 assumption (used everywhere else in docs, etc) that people have a
20 certain base level of Linux knowledge if they're running Gentoo.
21
22 That said, I did like having a GUI installer that I could just set up
23 and walk away for an hour or so. Another feature I really liked was the
24 copying of the LiveCD kernel directly to the new system to avoid a
25 kernel build.
28 Thanks,
29 Donnie
30