From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, Sam James <sam@g.o>, Gentoo Council <council@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items for upcoming council meeting (2022-05-08)
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 13:28:02
1 >>>>> On Fri, 06 May 2022, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > Besides, the whole argument for making this not default to signing
4 > everything is that signing should be a deliberate choice. In that
5 > case, shouldn't NOT signing ALSO be a deliberate choice?
6
7 The argument goes like this [1]:
8 "Adding the Signed-off-by trailer to a patch should be a conscious act
9 and means that you certify you have the rights to submit this work under
10 the same open source license."
11
12 It's not a conscious act if a tool does it automatically in its default
13 configuration.
14
15 We also have a precedent: Repoman required setting the SIGNED_OFF_BY
16 variable in make.conf before it would add the line to commits. I'm not
17 aware of any major problems caused by this.
18
19 Ulrich
20
21 [1] https://git-scm.com/docs/git-config#Documentation/git-config.txt-formatsignOff