From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: GLEP 76
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2019 05:03:09
1 On 06/30/19 14:53, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 12:48 AM desultory <desultory@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 06/28/19 08:09, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>> On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 7:49 AM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>>
7 >>>> I never stated that the trustees will know better, I stated that
8 >>>> their knowledge of what we assume to be real names will be
9 >>>> sufficient and there is no need for all developers to know them.
10 >>>> This is because the trustees are responsible for legal issues of
11 >>>> Gentoo.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> With such approach we lose nothing, but gain something valuable: we
14 >>>> may and will accept more people and more contributions.
15 >>>
16 >>> IMO you lose a professional atmosphere. I think there is a difference
17 >>> in atmosphere when you have Andrew and Rich and MichaƂ having a
18 >>> discussion, versus codebozo and leetcoder and trollmaster. (Just
19 >>> making up random handles - no correspondence implied.)
20 >>>
21 >> What you describe as, in effect, a dehumamizing interface, others
22 >> perceive as a way to keep minimize their social exposure. Where you find
23 >> some ill-defined negative, others find a distinct positive. Is Gentoo
24 >> really in a position where it can turn away demonstrably skilled
25 >> contributors based solely on their wanting to minimize personal exposure?
26 >
27 > I think either decision will turn people away.
28 >
29 I realize that I am asking for hearsay here, but have you have anyone
30 tell you that allowing contributors to remain anonymous, at least to the
31 public at large, is an active turnoff to contributing to the project?
32
33 > You claim that we have an environment that people do not want to be
34 > personally exposed to. I think it makes more sense to fix these
35 > issues than to cover them up by making it easier to avoid personal
36 > association with the distro.
37 >
38 No, my claim is that some people would prefer to avoid social exposure
39 in general, regardless of the environment; not that Gentoo has some
40 special toxicity to it. Furthermore, by even pseudonymously
41 contributing, they would be exposing themselves to the immediate
42 environment regardless, however by contributing pseudonymously they
43 could avoid secondary social effects. That and the recent purported
44 attempt to "fix" issues is more likely to turn people away than attract
45 them. Further, it is overtly silly to claim that something is being
46 "covered up" with regard to public interactions by not publishing the
47 particulars of all potential individuals engaged in those interactions,
48 after all, the interactions would be in public.
49
50 > Minimizing social exposure also means minimizing the personal
51 > consequences of your own actions. I suspect that is likely to make
52 > the existing problems worse.
53 >
54 Again you make the argument that people need to be personally exposed to
55 "consequences" in order to be trustworthy while ignoring that existing
56 disciplinary mechanisms in Gentoo do not depend in any functional way on
57 PII, and that publishing PII purely on the basis of disciplinary
58 considerations could be quite reasonably considered to be an outrageous
59 overreach. There are reasons that "doxing" is generally considered to be
60 rather reprehensible.
61
62 > I think it is more important to make Gentoo a project that people are
63 > proud to be associated with. This isn't just to avoid personal damage
64 > to reputation, but because it will actually make people want to
65 > participate.
66 >
67 If your contention, as you had previously strawmanned my contention to
68 be, is that people as a whole don't want to contribute to Gentoo now,
69 how do you explain the current pool of developers and other contributors
70 who are not listed in the rolls [devlist]? Are we all being coerced?
71
72 > If Gentoo turns into just another online forum where everybody trolls
73 > everybody else all the time and nobody bothers to do anything about
74 > it, then why would anybody but a troll want to participate?
75 >
76 Is your contention seriously that anyone who is not publicly know is a
77 troll and anyone who is publicly know is not? This seems distinctly
78 counter-evidentiary.
79
80 >> "Other people do it" is not exactly a great logical argument
81 >
82 > Sure, not on its own. However, keep in mind that most of the stuff
83 > that people are complaining about with regard to GLEP 76 are standing
84 > policy in other well-funded and mainstream FOSS projects, like the
85 > Linux kernel.
86 >
87 > The fact that the Linux Foundation considers something a good idea
88 > doesn't automatically make it a good idea. However, they do have all
89 > those pesky lawyers and all that which people seem to think we don't
90 > have enough of, and they also have a very positive reputation for the
91 > most part. I don't see too many people who are ashamed to have their
92 > name in a signed-off-by header in the kernel.
93 >
94 The fact that the Linux Foundation considers something to be a good idea
95 for itself does not mean that even the Linux Foundation would consider
96 that same thing to be a good idea for everyone, or even anyone, else.
97 Having "all those pesky lawyers" working for you tends to imply that
98 they are, at least nominally, providing counsel apropos your specific
99 needs, or at least their conception thereof.
100
101 Also, why, exactly, do you think that if someone wishes to remain
102 anonymous, they would necessarily be "ashamed" of their work, or the
103 project they contributed to? Apropos Gentoo in specific, are you
104 deliberately implying that we regularly accept contributions which
105 should leave those providing them "ashamed" of themselves? If so,
106 perhaps that is something which should be fixed.
107
108 > It doesn't hurt to point out when a process resembles something that
109 > has been used elsewhere, so that others can look more closely and
110 > decide for themselves whether this has been a positive or negative
111 > thing. MANY of Gentoo's policies are patterned after things other
112 > projects have done, since there is no point in re-inventing the wheel.
113 >
114 And, again, the circumstances of different projects are, somewhat
115 unsurprisingly, different. That project A does one thing and project B
116 does another does not make either necessarily right or wrong for project
117 C. Simply stating "they do it too" remains a weak argument for doing any
118 particular thing. For instance: Linux kernel uses GPL2 only (in that it
119 does not adopt the "or later" clause), that in itself is not a
120 particularly strong argument for another project to use GPL2 only, or
121 even GPL at all, if the project has different considerations in play.
122 Given that Gentoo is not the Linux Foundation, there are almost
123 certainly different considerations in play, and ignoring them on poorly
124 supported grounds is not productive.
125
126 [devlist] https://www.gentoo.org/inside-gentoo/developers/