From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: seemantk@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] 4 Lists, 2 Requests and a matrix.
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 19:58:03
1 On Mon, 12 May 2014 12:03:52 -0700
2 Seemant Kulleen <seemantk@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > - The QA team is an entirely brand new team.
5
6 For completeness, we replace an old team; the QA project is nothing new.
7
8 > - The team-members were put in place by the collective assent of
9 > the Gentoo developer community.
10
11 Indirectly, yes, as the community has chosen the Council; directly, it
12 has been put in place by the Council (and 2 extra members by QA lead).
13
14 > - No prior team was in place to spoonfeed them any
15 > information. No batons to pass, no knowledge to transfer.
16 > Processes, guidelines, and frameworks, rules of engagement, rules of
17 > the road, etc. -- none of these existed for the QA team to orient
18 > themselves into their new roles.
19
20 Yes, there is a lack of knowledge codification; however, a small set of
21 content can be found if you spend the time digging Council meeting
22 logs and gentoo-qa ML material which is tedious to do.
23
24 Given that, I'm under the impression that it went lost under the
25 collective memory of the previous QA team; we've pinged them once or
26 twice before, but haven't received a reply.
27
28 At the moment I think we're past the hard part and have formed an idea;
29 however, you can state such thing at any point in time so it has yet to
30 be seen if that's really the case.
31
32 > - The QA team members share a motivation.
33 > - To constantly improve the Gentoo experience.
34
35 Besides what I stated above, there is GLEP 48 which is a very valuable
36 document; we try to hold ourselves to it as much as we can, as that is
37 effectively written with what the Council directly wants from us (and
38 in extension, what the community indirectly wants from us).
39
40 > From this standpoint I'm seeing a ton of missed expectations. For
41 > example (stated and implied by words, if not intention) within Gentoo:
42 >
43 > - *The QA team will fix everything. Right now. I meant,
44 > yesterday, sorry.*
45
46 s/will/might/ or s/will/should/; while some people on the QA team could
47 be seen as bug fixing monkeys, we don't have the resources (mostly time)
48 available to fix everything. Thus we can only fix and help where we can.
49
50 > - *I am correct. The other party is wrong. It's so *obvious*. Why
51 > isn't the QA team just addressing this already??*
52
53 It's obvious to both parties and they both want their own solution.
54
55 > - *Why does QA get cc'd all over the place on bugzilla?*
56
57 QA team writes a Wiki entry for QA workflow, requested by the Council;
58 among other things, it is meant to help with knowing how to contact QA
59 and how QA works internally. As to avoid misunderstandings.
60
61 CC-ing the QA team works better if there is a non controversial action
62 to be taken.
63
64 CC-ing the QA team works worse if there is a controversial action
65 expected, or when there is looked for an action that could be
66 controversial and hasn't ever been previous discussed by the community.
67
68 It is to be noted that due to the controversial nature, this is often
69 something that affects a larger share of the community. We thus want to
70 hear and consider the community's view on it as well; and yes, that's
71 what the earlier form of a pointer to gentoo-dev ML is all about.
72
73 > - *Most of the things QA gets cc'd on have nothing to do with us.*
74
75 Sometimes we get CC-ed on bugs that are in the maintainer's scope, on
76 bugs that are personal and thus ComRel's scope, on bugs for which a
77 clear policy exists and the maintainer already respects that policy, ...
78
79 ... which means that we have no action or decision to make there.
80
81 > - *QA's job is to be the technical equivalent of ComRel.*
82
83 It works in a similar way in terms of escalation (discuss with your
84 peers and community first, then come to us), as well as working out
85 discussions (acting as the third reader); only taking a technical
86 action or decision when necessary, which is like ComRel not that common.
87
88 > - *I'm not sure what the rest of the QA team thinks QA's job is?*
89
90 That what is stated in GLEP 48.
91
92 > - *I just want to do this part of QA.*
93
94 That's entirely possible, nobody is forced to do certain parts.
95
96 > - *Go raise this on the mailing lists, then council, then QA, if
97 > you don't like it.*
98
99 This should be clear given the above response to getting CC'ed.
100
101 > - *QA is afraid of the community and wants to pacify everyone,
102 > which makes them ineffective.*
103
104 Where is this pacification? Is it that what is written in GLEP 48?
105
106 > According to the Principle of
107 > Humanity<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_humanity>,
108 > I must ascribe the best possible intention to someone else's actions
109 > and words. (Allow that others are driven by the same pure
110 > motivations that drive me.)
111 >
112 > Which is related to my final observation: Gentoo developers, as a
113 > whole and as individuals, share the intention *to improve the Gentoo
114 > experience.*
115
116 +1
117
118 > Finally, my request:
119 >
120 > 1. QA Team: please unite as a team, and figure out:
121 > 1. Your ABI:
122 > 1. What should people expect from you as a team and you as
123 > individual members and doers on that team.
124
125 GLEP 48 and the QA project page covers this, too much to summarize.
126
127 > 2. Your API:
128 > 1. How do people interact with you? When is it
129 > appropriate? What is the chain of conversation to get to you?
130
131 A Wiki that documents inquiries is being worked out by the QA team.
132
133 > 3. Your customers:
134 > 1. Your fellow developers.
135 > 2. Us users.
136
137 GLEP 48 covers this; indeed that, all developers and users.
138
139 > 2. Gentoo Developer Team at Large:
140 > 1. Please engage with the team that you guys have voiced into
141 > place: 1. What responsibilities are appropriate for their shoulders?
142 > 2. What authority is appropriate for them to be effective?
143
144 That is what GLEP 48 is all about; I suggest people to read it again,
145 suggesting corrections to the Gentoo Council if something in that
146 document or what the QA team does is considered as inappropriate.
149 With kind regards,
150
151 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
152 Gentoo Developer
153
154 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
155 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
156 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D