From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [Bugzilla] IP-based limits
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 19:10:53
1 On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 11:43 AM Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 11:40 AM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 11:24 AM Tomas Mozes <hydrapolic@×××××.com>
7 >> wrote:
8 >>
9 >>> On Wednesday, August 12, 2020, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
10 >>> > Bugzilla now has connection limits per IP. I won't say what the limit
11 >>> is, but if you are crawling bugzilla or using automated tools from a single
12 >>> source IP you may hit the limit and receive 503's for requests over the
13 >>> limit.
14 >>> > This may be a particular problem for users behind things like carrier
15 >>> grade NAT (where many users are multiplexed through a single egress IP.)
16 >>> However we have seen numerous slowdowns from bot traffic and this is a
17 >>> relatively straightforward change to make on our end. If you believe you
18 >>> are being unfairly limited / blocked, please reach out to
19 >>> infra@g.o.
20 >>> > Thanks,
21 >>> > -A
22 >>>
23 >>> Wouldn't 429 be more appropriate?
24 >>>
25 >>
26 >> The limiter doesn't support this, sorry.
29 > For the curious, who wrote the limiter? Is it an upstream feature
30 > provided by the bugzilla maintainers?
33 It's the apache max IP limiter.
34
35 The thread was intended to inform people that bugzilla has limits now; it's
36 not intended to solicit advice on how to build the best possible limiter;
37 I'm aware this one is hokey but I'm happy with it ;)
38
39 -A
44 >> -A
47 >>>