From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] The problem of defunct and undermanned projects in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 21:39:21
1 On 07/16/2017 02:12 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > I'd like to re-heat a worrying topic. More than once I've noticed that
5 > some projects in Gentoo are either completely defunct or seriously
6 > undermanned. This has been already tackled via the herd->project
7 > conversion but the problem still exist and I'd like to try to solve it
8 > better.
9 >
10 > According to a quick grep, we have 175 teams defined right now. With
11 > a quick grep, I get the following histogram:
12 >
13 > Members Teams
14 > 0 3
15 > 1 36
16 > 2 34
17 > 3 19
18 > 4 20
19 > 5 22
20 > 6 12
21 > ...
22 >
23 > Besides the first two numbers, it doesn't look that bad. However, most
24 > of the time the number of members does not map well into real activity.
25 >
26 > I think some of the projects could really do with just new members.
27 > However, not having active developers on the project makes it hard for
28 > someone to actually issue a call for members.
29 >
30 > I'm thinking of mailing every project in Gentoo (i.e. mass-mailing 175
31 > projects, some developers will get a lot of mail). The mail would
32 > contain some descriptive text and a list of project members. It would
33 > serve two goals:
34 >
35 > 1. asking the project to verify its member list (some people still don't
36 > keep their wiki up-to-date),
37 >
38 > 2. asking the project if they need me to send a call for members.
39 >
40 > Projects that are entirely fine could reply with a simple 'ACK'. Others
41 > could ask for help directly. Those who don't reply will be brought to
42 > further consideration.
43 >
44 > What do you think? Would you mind getting that amount of mail once?
45 > Any other ideas?
46 > Getting some new members -- specifically community members who know more
47 about a given project's topic -- would be very beneficial to Gentoo,
48 imo. I think some of our projects suffer from Gentoo devs who want to
49 keep projects (or rather, their packages) alive but lack expertise in
50 that particular domain, so difficult or odd bugs take longer to diagnose
51 and fix than they would if there was a project member who was familiar
52 with the software. The alternative is of course disbanding the
53 project(s) and dropping the packages, but to me that should be used as a
54 last resort.
55
56 Which of our outreach avenues has proven the most effective? If we have
57 a call for contributors, are we equipped to onboard enough people --
58 proxy-maint or otherwise -- to bring activity to these smaller projects?
59
60 I'm admittedly not a people person, so I'm not sure how I can help.
61 --
62 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
63 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
64 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6