From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: desultory <desultory@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Appeals of Moderation Decisions
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2019 07:07:31
1 On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 10:39 PM desultory <desultory@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 01/31/19 18:21, Raymond Jennings wrote:
4 > > On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 11:27 AM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 2:11 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
7 > >>>
8 > >>> Can Council define an appeals process for appeals of moderation
9 > >>> decisions in general for any official Gentoo communications media? I
10 > >>> think we have this for mailing lists, as Proctors is the only real
11 > >>> moderation there and Proctors does have an appeals process. I think
12 > >>> IRC and Forums are the areas with gaps - to the extent that either has
13 > >>> an appeals process I can't find it documented anywhere (I welcome
14 > >>> leads in both areas to comment).
15 > >>>
16 > >>
17 > >> Proctors already has a defined appeals process. Minor actions like
18 > >> warnings or short bans are final, and longer bans are appealable to
19 > >> Comrel. IMO this is a reasonable balance.
20 > >>
21 > >> To the extent that either IRC or Forums formally has a process for
22 > >> short-term bans (<1wk)/etc I would suggest those also be
23 > >> non-appealable beyond any internal process these teams have.
24 > >>
25 > >> For appeals beyond this I suggest that Comrel also be the point of
26 > >> appeal. I think Proctors could also work, but it raises the question
27 > >> of bureaucracy as in theory an IRC op might make a decision, then
28 > >> Proctors takes an appeal, then Comrel takes an appeal, and then maybe
29 > >> even Council takes an appeal. That is a lot of appeals.
30 > >>
31 > >
32 > > My two cents:
33 > >
34 > > Would there be any merit for the imposition of additional sanctions for
35 > > abuse of process if an appeal is determined to be frivolous?
36 > >
37 > > This might mitigate any concern about excessive bureaucracy.
38 > >
39 > Additional bureaucracy would mitigate concern about excessive
40 > bureaucracy? ;)
43 In all seriousness, yes actually.
44
45 If "additional bureaucracy" comes in the form of defending the existing
46 bureaucracy by providing a disincentive to abuse it, I would see it as an
47 investment with a positive return.
48
49 It seems a self evident benefit to make someone think twice before spamming
50 a higher court as it were with baloney.
53 > Seriously though, the option to sanction users (which expressly must
54 > include all developers) for frivolous appeals could at least potentially
55 > reduce concerns regarding abuse of that appeals process. However,
56 > mishandling of appeals is also a concern which bears addressing if one
57 > is going quite that far down the bureaucratic rabbit hole.
58 >
59 > Cases where an appeals process, with regard to electronic media, is
60 > being abused tend to already have some underlying issue; if they don't
61 > the sanctions process is almost certainly being abused.
64 > >> Very long-term it might make sense to try to better harmonize how we
65 > >> do moderation on all these different media, but I think that is really
66 > >> a separate issue, and doesn't need to be settled right away. I think
67 > >> that the absence of ANY appeals process in the interim is more of an
68 > >> issue, as it does leave people who are subject to what might be one
69 > >> person's decision no real access to due process. Even if all the
70 > >> moderators are doing a perfect job there should be a process.
71 > >>
72 > >> I'd encourage IRC ops or Forums mods to chime in with their thoughts
73 > >> here...
74 > >>
76 > >> Rich
77 > >>