From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] OpenPGP Authority Keys to provide validity of developer/service keys
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 08:56:02
1 On Sun, 2019-02-17 at 06:56 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 09:40:21AM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Your comments? Anything I've missed?
4 >
5 > Overall, strong +1 to the idea.
6 >
7 > Some questions/remarks:
8 > 0. I will oppose any intentions to tie this proposal to the GLEP76 or other
9 > requirements of disclosing "legal" names. I realize other developers may object
10 > to this, but I don't believe that "legal" names in this context actually gain
11 > us anything of value.
12
13 That's outside the scope. The key will be explicitly described
14 as verifying the @gentoo.org account ownership only.
15
16 > 1. Where are non-dev users trying to verify developer keys directly at the
17 > moment? I thought all prior work discouraged that, in favour of verifying
18 > service keys instead. I do see this proposal being of a LOT more use in the
19 > infra-run systems that verify incoming commits/pushes.
20
21 My main purpose is mail.
22
23 > 2. The uid signatures should NOT be naively exported to keyservers. They
24 > should use the CAFF method of generating a uid signature, writing it to a file,
25 > and sending it as an encrypted message to the uid address. The uid owner is
26 > responsible for decrypt + sending to servers. This ensures that the email
27 > address and key are still tied together.
28
29 That sounds like awful requirement of statefulness with requirement of
30 manual manipulation to me, i.e. a can of worms. Do we really need to
31 assume that Gentoo developers will be adding keys they can't use to
32 LDAP?
33
34 > 3. As raised elsewhere on the thread, what delays should be implicit on a new
35 > dev joining vs having their key auto-signed?
36
37 I don't see any need for delay. As soon as the user can access LDAP
38 and add his key, he's proven that he owns the @gentoo.org address
39 at the moment.
40
41 > 4. uid signatures cannot generally exceed the lifetime of a primary key; the L2
42 > signing service will need to resign regularly. How will this interact with the
43 > CAFF design above?
44
45 Adds to the 'can of worms'.
46
47 > 5. You state that the users should trust the L1 key directly. Can you clarify
48 > your intent here to cover the trust?
49 >
50 > The most obvious interpretation to me is trust signature of of the L2 key, with
51 > depth=2 domain=gentoo.org [1].
52
53 Yes, something along the lines of that.
56 > [1] trust signatures domain restrictions are actually regular
57 > expressions; but GnuPG limits the input thereof. Just answering the
58 > query:
59 > > Please enter a domain to restrict this signature, or enter for none.
60 > > Your selection? gentoo.org
61 >
62 > Actually generates:
63 > > :signature packet: algo 22, keyid THROWAWAY
64 > > version 4, created 1550385418, md5len 0, sigclass 0x10
65 > > digest algo 8, begin of digest f0 e4
66 > > hashed subpkt 33 len 21 (issuer fpr v4 THROWAWAY)
67 > > hashed subpkt 2 len 4 (sig created 2019-02-17)
68 > > hashed subpkt 5 len 2 (trust signature of depth 2, value 120)
69 > > critical hashed subpkt 6 len 24 (regular expression: "<[^>]+[@.]gentoo\x5c.org>$\0")
70 > > subpkt 16 len 8 (issuer key ID THROWAWAY)
71 > > data: [255 bits]
72 > > data: [256 bits]
77 Best regards,
78 Michał Górny