From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] "Gentoo is and will remain Free Software"
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:41:18
1 On Thursday 12 March 2009 06:53:21 am Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:
2 > Luke-Jr wrote:
3 > > I have been reporting bugs over the past few months regarding licensing
4 > > issues, and inappropriate dependencies on non-Free software. Someone
5 > > recommended I begin a thread on -dev, however, seeing as it may be of
6 > > greater concern in regard to Gentoo's Social Contract.
7 >
8 > How have these bugs been handled?
9
10 It can vary. Some of the more trivial things (incorrect LICENSE values) seem
11 to be ignored more often than fixed. gsm/sox I believe ended up with
12 RESTRICT=mirror in a timely fashon (they are not legally redistributable). The
13 KDE team seemed interested in fixing up the font issue, though there was a
14 little original hesistation along the lines of whether Gentoo cared if a font
15 was not free to sell. The poppler issue seems to be waiting for input/action
16 on the printing hurd since March 8th (4 days ago).
17
18 > > To help mitigate this problem, I propose completion of GLEP 23's
19 > > implementation; we already have a working ACCEPT_LICENSE, but the
20 > > "minimum" groups (in particular, @OSI-APPROVED) are as of yet still not
21 > > defined. By enabling more users to filter by approved licenses, I feel
22 > > these issues will get more attention.
23 >
24 > I don't know how this has been implemented. I believe they are just lists,
25 > but I am not sure where. We should probably have some file such that for
26 > each license we can specify whether or not it is a member of some group.
27
28 GLEP 23 defines this as a file profiles/license_groups with one line per
29 group, formatted: <groupname> <license1> <license2> ... <licenseN>
30
31 > With lists it isn't clear whether a license does not belong to a group or
32 > hasn't been considered. Unless we introduce the complement groups
33 > explicitly. For each group OSI we also have the group !OSI. That way the
34 > infos would be there, even though they would still need to be extracted by
35 > some tool.
36
37 Since GLEP 23 already defines a format for this, and all those tiny files
38 would use excess disk blocks, perhaps something like this should be considered
39 as "source" material and "compiled" into the license_groups file by a simple
40 shell script. :)