From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2015-04-14: call for agenda items
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 11:58:14
1 On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 5:04 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015, Ben de Groot wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 6 April 2015 at 17:28, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >>> Dnia 2015-04-02, o godz. 10:14:28
6 >>> I would like to ask the Council to confirm or reject the switch of
7 >>> libav/ffmpeg default to ffmpeg. I don't want to take a stand there
8 >>> but I'm concerned that our users will end up suffering a ping-pong
9 >>> of developers fighting and changing the defaults from time to time.
10 >>>
11 >>> [1]:https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/50c181372e098719b2573e7b16c74482
12 >
13 >> My reasons for the switch are summarized here:
14 >> https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/215e894205c6ca4a6e4e76291872ce95
15 >
16 >> If anything more is wanted, please let me know, and I'd be happy to
17 >> expand.
18 >
19 > This is nothing more than a change of a flag's default. Users can
20 > trivially override it with their own setting.
21 >
22 > IMHO the council shouldn't get involved in such micromanagement.
23
24 Well, ping-pong of any kind in the tree isn't a great thing. However,
25 I don't anticipate that here. It is fine to change a default in the
26 tree - I think we really only need the Council if we have two sets of
27 devs/projects/whatevers that are actively pushing for one vs another
28 and commit wars are a possibility.
29
30 If all the maintainers are fine with ffmpeg, just do it. If ping-pong
31 becomes an actual issue I'm fine with it going to the Council.
32
33 But, in general anybody can ask the Council anything. We can still
34 bring up the topic, though I suspect most of us will say "we're fine
35 with it, but don't feel like you have to ask us." We'll see.
38 Rich