From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-04-10
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 09:24:53
1 On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 10:27 PM, NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > An aside: Part of the git migration was converting the cvs history to
4 > git to be available as a graft point [1][2]. Regardless of whether
5 > this is to ultimately become the canonical means of looking up a
6 > package's changelog, can we document how the graft is supposed to be
7 > done/configure the repo accordingly? I'm completely unfamiliar with
8 > git grafting, but [3] suggests that there should be an entry in
9 > .git/info/grafts.
10
11 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow#Grafting_Gentoo_history_onto_the_active_repository
12
13 > Since I'm unfamiliar with grafting, is there a
14 > reason why we don't ship the repo with this file populated to begin with
15
16 It is a reference, and if you fetch/clone a git repo you only get the
17 references you explicitly ask for. I've actually tried pushing the
18 reference and while that works you don't get it when you clone unless
19 you ask for it, which is the same effort as just re-creating it.
22 Rich