From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 03:31:12
1 On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 10:13 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Something has to lead all the pieces into one cohesive Gentoo.
4 >
5 > If every piece is left to lead its own, you have a mess. You have what Gentoo
6 > has become without Daniel or any Lead...
7 >
8 > Something has to bring everything together and lead the unified direction.
11 You do realize that Gentoo is about choice, right?
12
13 We're a volunteer based organization. The only way you can truly have
14 a unified direction is by forbidding people from doing things that
15 aren't aligned with that direction. You can't force people to move
16 forward, you can only block them from moving backwards.
17
18 If a volunteer wants to invest in eudev, great. If they want to
19 invest in udev, great. If they want to invest in systemd, great. We
20 don't pick winners.
21
22 Now what we do impose is reasonable order to ensure that these kinds
23 of efforts play nicely together. We don't force devs to work on
24 things they don't want to, but we also set guidelines so that others
25 who do want to work on those things can work on changes to individual
26 packages to make them work. If somebody wants to tweak some ebuilds
27 to support multilib in accordance with an agreed-upon plan, they can.
28 If somebody wants to add Prefix support to an ebuild, they can. If
29 somebody wants to add a systemd or openrc unit/script to a package,
30 they can.
31
32 And as a result we support a lot of things that other distros don't.
33
34 Now, does that mean that we support the things that any random person
35 thinks we ought to? No. As many have pointed out our java support
36 has been suffering. Ultimately though this requires people to step up
37 and contribute in this area, not some kind of global initiative.
38
39 And again it isn't like Council members don't step up and try to lead
40 changes. We just don't claim any particular monopoly on doing so, and
41 we're more than happy to endorse changes others are trying to make if
42 it will help them achieve their goals.
45 Rich