From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] With regard to udev stabilization
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:02:07
1 On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 11/13/2012 04:31 AM, Markos Chandras wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 2:40 AM, Richard Yao<ryao@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Dear Everyone,
7 >>>
8 >>> It is no secret that many of us are unhappy with the direction that udev
9 >>> has taken under the leadership of the systemd developers. That includes
10 >>> Linus Torvalds, who is 'leery of the fact that the udev maintenance
11 >>> seems to have gone into some "crazy mode" where they have made changes
12 >>> that were known to be problematic, and are pure and utter stupidity.'
13 >>>
14 >>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/2/505
15 >>>
16 >>> After speaking with several other Gentoo developers that share Linus'
17 >>> concerns, I have decided to form a team to fork udev. Our plan is to
18 >>> eliminate the separate /usr requirement from our fork, among other
19 >>> things. We will announce the project later this week.
20 >>>
21 >>> I understand that the council is scheduled to vote on a topic related to
22 >>> udev stabilization. Would it be possible to delay the vote for another
23 >>> month so that we have time to get organized?
24 >>>
25 >>> Yours truly,
26 >>> Richard Yao
27 >>>
28 >> Have you tried contacting other distros? They may face the same
29 >> problems with us and they might be interested
30 >> in helping us out.
33 > We already thought of that. Does anyone know someone at debian?
34 >
35 > --
36 > Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
37 > Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
38 > E-Mail : blueness@g.o
39 > GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
40 > GnuPG ID : D0455535
44 Not me, but I guess this needs to be posted on a mailing list instead
45 of contacting a single person or team.
48 Regards,
49 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2