From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2015-01-13: call for agenda items
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 05:00:16
1 On 12/28/14 11:45, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Sonntag, 28. Dezember 2014, 12:57:16 schrieb Michał Górny:
3 >>
4 >> We should also finally decide on a clear way of knowing who's on
5 >> the team. Right now wiki list seems to be the de-facto solution
6 >> but many developers simply don't want to get a wiki account...
7 >
8 > Given that all project pages are supposed to move to the wiki, the
9 > wiki *is* the solution...
10 >
11 > I'm sorry, but I dont really see the point of refusing to create a
12 > wiki account. That's a bit like not committing anything because you
13 > don't like cvs.
14 >
15 That is, at very best, a fatuous argument. The wiki is for
16 documentation. The wiki is not for ebuild development, nor handling
17 ops duties in #gentoo, nor handling moderation duties on the forums,
18 nor doing infrastructure work, nor work on openrc, nor portage, nor
19 eselect, nor any of the other myriad things that people could be doing
20 as active members of Gentoo which do not necessarily entail writing
21 documentation on the wiki. Even aside from the fact that most Gentoo
22 repositories have migrated to git at this point, including project
23 overlays.
24
25 There is no evident technical reason to not have projects track their
26 membership in LDAP, which happens to be accessible via dev.g.o, which
27 people need access to in order to handle their @g.o e-mail, at least
28 to the extent of setting up forwarding. Doing so would remove the
29 purported necessity of having yet another login to keep track of for
30 the exclusive purpose of formally joining projects.
31
32 The current "solution" is further suboptimal in that any individuals
33 who take part in the project but are not formally Gentoo developers or
34 staff members evidently cannot be listed with the project at all,
35 there are at least two projects where such listings would make sense.