From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 17:19:19
1 Andreas K. Huettel:
2 >
3 > Doing a thorough review of submitted code can be harder than writing it
4 > yourself.
5
6 Only if the PR is low quality and I don't know the contributor yet. It
7 could be simplified with automatic travis build logs etc.
8 That has already been done in other distros and is nothing spectacular.
9
10 > If I merge, I'm responsible for it. Which is why I am not entirely
11 > happy with a pull request based workflow... To put it blunt and exaggerate,
12 > why should I put in a lot of work and take over responsibility for a bunch of
13 > lazies who want to contribute somehow but feel disinclined to do it properly?
16 Because you want to teach them?
17
18 > The recruiting is the process where people prove they can themselves take
19 > responsibility for our users and are willing to do it.
22 You prove once and then are free to mess up regularly? Hmm.
23
24 >> I've been asked recently by a community member if he should bother to
25 >> try to become a gentoo dev, because he heard it's a pain.
26 >> Then again... regularly contributing to gentoo via bug reports is even
27 >> more a pain... so he's just running yet another personal overlay.
28 >
29 > Yes. Exactly. 100% true. We all know this situation.
30 >
31 > So, as you point out, a decentral operation is one solution (reduced core
32 > repository, more overlays). What it means though is that all quality control
33 > measures in place (security team, arch team, qa team, rules what needs
34 > discussion on the lists, ...) only apply to the main tree, and the overlays
35 > slip out of it. Which is something that I plainly do not want. Even if things
36 > do not work perfectly now, we'd still lose far too much.
39 Please don't mix my idea of decentralization with an enforced review
40 workflow. Both concepts are totally orthogonal. You can have a
41 centralized concept and very good review and a decentralized concept
42 with very poor review and any other combination.
43
44 I'd still vote for combining this with a decentralized concept, because
45 it may solve even more problems, but that point is irrelevant for this
46 topic.
47
48 > Here's my answer to your contributor: "It's great that you're considering it,
49 > and we're happy to help you. It's worth becoming a full dev, since you have
50 > far more possibilities to directly contribute and also influence where Gentoo
51 > is going. However, it's going to be some work and it will need some
52 > commitment."
55 I already told him to focus on contributing to project overlays if he
56 cares about ebuild writing only... so that he gets reviews and doesn't
57 just stick to his own overlay.
58
59 >> The fact that projects like proxy-maintainers and sunrise have to exist
60 >> are proof that we are doing something wrong! I'm not discrediting any of
61 >> those. They fill a gap, but the question is... why do we have that gap
62 >> in the first place?
63 >
64 > Because you can't answer the quizzes in 166 characters and submit them via
65 > Instagram?
68 I was referring to missing tools, workflow and review culture. Git might
69 improve it... but it's not enough. See sunrise... the migration to git
70 didn't add anything of value.
73 Because contributing is cumbersome we need projects like
74 proxy-maintainers. But from my experience that doesn't work very well.
75 Project overlays on github currently work better. Less indirection.
76
77 And I've sometimes seen people in the git log who have been contributing
78 for ~3+ years with high-quality ebuilds without ever being asked to join
79 the team.
80 Then I asked them via mail and now guess the answer... (and... is it
81 even bad?)