From: Andrew Ammerlaan <andrewammerlaan@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: GURU project <guru@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] utilizing GH functionality that Gentoo infra does not provide
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 15:38:34
1 On 31/03/2022 20:07, Maciej Barć wrote:
2 >
3 > On 3/31/22 6:43 PM, Michael Jones wrote:
6 >> On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 6:48 AM Maciej Barć <xgqt@g.o
7 >> <mailto:xgqt@g.o>> wrote:
8 >>
9 >>     GURU already started experimenting with usage of GH's CI [1],
10 >>     though I can't skip over a very irritating fact: GH seems to think
11 >> that
12 >>     there is only one Linux-based OS ("runs-on: ubuntu-latest"). IMO it
13 >>     would be better to run the CI on Gentoo's containers - which is
14 >>     possible
15 >>     with GitLab's CI.
16 >>     Also, on GitLab we do not have to pull images from official Docker
17 >>     registry [2].
20 >> Do you mean to imply that Github's CI doesn't support Linux other than
21 >> Ubuntu? Or do you mean instead that Github's CI only supports
22 >> non-Ubuntu as docker containers?
23 >>
24 >> An example of using a non-Ubuntu Linux container can be found here:
25 >> https://github.com/ninja-build/ninja/blob/25cdbae0ee1270a5c8dd6ba67696e29ad8076919/.github/workflows/linux.yml#L13
26 >> <https://github.com/ninja-build/ninja/blob/25cdbae0ee1270a5c8dd6ba67696e29ad8076919/.github/workflows/linux.yml#L13>
27 >
28 > Good to know, I think GURU's CI does not utilize that.
29
30 The ::guru (and ::sci) CI use the pkgcheck GitHub Action [1], very
31 useful if you want to quickly setup a CI in your ebuild repository. It
32 doesn't really matter which OS you run it on though. All it does is run
33 pkgcheck on a collection of ebuild files etc, it will do that just as
34 well in a Ubuntu container as in a Gentoo container.
35
36 Something that is on my wishlist is to replace this with something
37 similar to what we have in ::gentoo (I.e. a CI that not only runs
38 pkgcheck but also complains in #gentoo-guru and via email if it is
39 broken. Automating this means that I no longer have to do it manually :P)
40
41 Best regards,
42 Andrew
43