From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2021-05-09
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 20:00:27
1 > On 3 May 2021, at 20:19, Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2021-05-03 20:12, Sam James wrote:
4 >> I think we’re worrying about a non-problem (some hypothetical
5 >> legal dispute(!?)). The council
6 >> Is free to discuss what it likes. Someone has raised the issue,
7 >> so why not?
8 >> Reminder that none of us are lawyers and the council’s job
9 >> is to debate things. Let’s not be shy about it doing that.
10 >
11 > No, this is wrong.
14 Which part is actually wrong…? I’m saying that we don’t need to worry about strange non-legal issues
15 in order for the council to discuss or debate a topic.
16
17 > During a council meeting, only council members should speak. Everyone else has to wait for the open floor at the end.
18 >
19 > Therefore, to allow others to participate, any discussion should happen before meeting on public mailing list to allow *everyone* to participate.
20 > Having an exclusive discussion between 7 people is really not the idea of the council. That said, creating a motion during meeting when nobody else had the chance to comment on before because nobody knew the motion before, is strongly discouraged.
21
22 Right, of course.
25 > That's why I am proposing to move this to open floor...
26 >
27 > I also want to remind us of the fact that we agreed during constitution to have focused meetings [1] and I believe an open agenda item like this discussion where we can do nothing goes against focused meetings.
30 I’m not sure where we’re disagreeing here?
31
32 (Also, I always interpreted “open floor” as “council members may discuss anything, not worrying about the agenda” - not anyone can speak, but that may have been wrong.)
35 > [1] https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20200719.txt
38 > --
39 > Regards,
40 > Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
41 > fpr: C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5
42 >