From: "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] How do you feel about non-contributing developers with commit access?
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 01:11:28
On 3/11/18 2:05 am, Michał Górny wrote:
> Hello, > > The Undertakers team has frequently received various forms of > 'criticism' of their effort in attempting to find and retire inactive > developers. This is getting as far as to claim that we shouldn't retire > anyone because there are no limits on commit slots. > > Therefore, I would like to ask the wider community a general question: > how do you feel about preserving commit access for people who no longer > actively commit to Gentoo? I'm talking about extreme cases, say, > no commits to any user-visible repository for over a year.
Hello. I'd like to suggest that developers be allowed to retain commit privileges until and unless they are unresponsive to status queries or have demonstrated some kind of negative intent. I understand the concern of allowing commit access to persist for AWOL contributors, but for those with low commit frequency it's effectively saying "your volunteer contributions aren't enough". For myself, due to various factors my time for productive commit development is severely limited, but as I only maintain a couple of packages which, to my knowledge, don't have any issues, removing commit access just means those that I do maintain become orphaned, and when I do get time to work on something I have to work through GitHub or Bugzilla, increasing work for whichever developer is kind enough to facilitate my contribution. I am, however, able to be reached quickly, and responsive to queries. If a developer is present, is not neglecting anything they maintain, has not demonstrated any malicious intent, and is offering to spend what time they can on contributions when they have the time to ensure they don't break anything, why stop them? Thanks; -- Sam Jorna (wraeth) GPG ID: 0xD6180C26