From: Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Council meeting 2015-04-14: call for agenda items
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 23:29:33
1 On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 7:25 PM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 04/07/15 11:38, Michael Palimaka wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 07/04/15 08:22, Matt Turner wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>> For instance, in this topic I haven't seen any comment from
9 >>>> alpha/ia64/sparc arch teams...
10 >>>
11 >>> I haven't commented because I don't honestly believe people care.
12 >>>
13 >>> I'm really disappointed that the discussion is entirely about creating
14 >>> keyword-dropping policies and no one is asking whether there are
15 >>> things we can do to make keyword/stable requests a more streamlined
16 >>> process. But, that kind of thing seems to be par for the course on
17 >>> this list.
18 >>
19 >> We've heard very little from arch teams at all, let alone proposals for
20 >> improving the stabilisation process. That's the main reason this sort of
21 >> topic keeps coming up.
22 >
23 > I don't want my silence to be misinterpreted regarding ppc and ppc64. For
24 > those arches, I'm willing to trim back on stabilization, but I really don't
25 > want to drop to ~ as we did for mips. In fact, I'm thinking of turning mips
26 > itself back into a stable arches with just the @system packages being
27 > candidates for stabilization. The reason I like this approach is when I
28 > build stage3's I can control what I know will build (stable packages) vs the
29 > latest packages added to the tree (~arch). Nothing is more painful than
30 > have to manually intervene in a bunch of catalyst builds. Being able to
31 > control what will be built via stable keywords saves time and effort.
34 Would you be willing to monitor stablereqs and for ones that you can't
35 keep up with, go ahead and remove stable keywords proactively on your
36 own? The main concern is that this is a lot of hassle for
37 maintainers. If the arch team can keep up with maintainers either by
38 stabilizing packages or unstabilizing them, I think that will satisfy
39 everybody.
40
41 Alternatively, we can just change the status of the arch in repoman.
42 Then you can keep your stable keywords if you wish, but package
43 maintainers can also break your stable depgraph.
46 Rich