From: heroxbd@g.o
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-09-10
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:42:12
1 Hey Daniel,
2
3 Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us> writes:
4
5 > As a user, I've considered becoming a developer but the process is
6 > rather contrived and multi-tiered.
7
8 Would you like to try again? Where did you get stuck last time?
9
10 > It doesn't seem like you're becoming a developer through said process,
11 > but rather joining a fraternity. There's lots of bureacracy involved
12 > that really turns prospective developers off.
13
14 As a young developer (less than 2 years), I feel the process
15 reasonable. The quiz, the bug report, how you communicate... I feel
16 they're educative rather than bureaucratic.
17
18 > I don't know how common it is, but if Gentoo has a lack of developers,
19 > there must be a clear reason as to why.
20
21 The reason is that we need to give more encouragement to our users to
22 became a developer, IMHO.
23
24 > Clearly Gentoo has a lot of avid users *and* developers, so if
25 > developers are needed, perhaps the process to become a developer
26 > should be improved. Why else would the distro be lacking devs if it
27 > has a bright and enthusiastic userbase?
28
29 Right! Therefore I think every developer should keep a sharp eye on the
30 prospective developers he works with, and encourage her to join Gentoo
31 as a developer at a proper chance.
32
33 Cheers,
34 Benda