From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 06:56:11
1 On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 9:54 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > Council is related to technical leadership, inter-project technical issues
4 > and issues impacting development, which can include disciplinary issues.
5
6 Their scope has been significantly larger than that for quite a while.
7 Certainly for longer than I've been a dev.
10 > Trustees look out for the long-term health of the project. This includes
11 > legal matters, social contract, and quite a few other things.
14 Does that include renewing corporate registrations, filing taxes, and
15 actually having all of its board slots filled? Historically the
16 Trustees have been one of the largest threats to the long-term health
17 of the project.
18
19 I realize that they're volunteers, and for the most part they've meant
20 well. This isn't intended as a slight on them. However, it seems to
21 me that there is a systemic issue here. Increasing the scope of the
22 Trustees (or failing to decrease it, if you prefer) seems unwise at
23 this point, when historically they have not been able to manage the
24 scope they already have.
27 Rich