From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Reviving the forensic herd
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 15:21:17
1 On 6/4/11 10:35 PM, Pierre-Yves Bonnetain wrote:
2 >> Taking charge mostly means doing version bumps and fixing bumps, at
3 >> least on the basic level. Are some forensic packages outdated? Please
4 >
5 > There are several of them.
6
7 I see. Is there a bug for each outdated package? Have you tested how to
8 bump those ebuilds and posted necessary instructions? Often all that is
9 needed is to say "copying existing ebuild works".
10
11 Once you have that list, please send it to me, I can proxy-commit things.
12
13 >> file bugs with version bump instructions (either just "copy existing
14 >> ebuild to that version" or "apply this patch"). Please post patches for
15 >> existing bugs and ask someone to commit them (I can act as a proxy).
16 >
17 > I did post one ebuild for a version bump of sleuthkit, as a test of my
18 > abilities to write "proper" ebuilds (no need to post several ebuilds if
19 > I make the same mistakes over and over).
20
21 The submission was pretty good (I added one tip to make further ones
22 even better). More ebuild/patch submissions are welcome.
23
24 By the way, I don't mind minor mistakes in the submissions. As long as
25 you're able to submit fixes for pointed out problems, you don't need to
26 worry about less-than-perfect ebuilds.
27
28 >>> If this proposal is accepted, I must confess I will need advice and help
29 >>> during my first steps in this new realm. I've written a few ebuilds for
30 >>> my own needs, but that's all I did regarding "Gentoo internals".
31 >>
32 >> Have you published those ebuilds somewehere?
33 >
34 > No, since they are for private tools and weird configurations (such as
35 > meta-packages changes for my own needs).
36
37 Depending on how much private or weird they are, they might still be
38 useful for the wider community. One of the points of open source is that
39 we share what's useful for us in hope that'll be useful for others.
40
41 Anyway, if those tools you refer to are not publicly available, that
42 obviously excludes them from portage. But weird configurations could
43 still be useful.