From: Ben Kohler <bkohler@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2021-07-11 - call for agenda items
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 11:58:04
1 On 7/7/21 6:51 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 7:40 AM Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o> wrote:
3 >> I'm not opposing the idea, but I also don't like it that some org I
4 >> volunteer for starts controlling how I should behave everywhere. I IRC
5 >> on other channels beside Gentoo. If this suggestion goes through, we
6 >> might as well set up our own irc.gentoo.org network, or some of us are
7 >> forced to connect to Libera with 2 different clients/nicks.
8 > Well, this was already addressed in the past by letting people pick
9 > any IRC nick they wish, and then assigning them a Gentoo uid that
10 > matched. The IRC nicks came first.
11 >
12 > That is still an option, albeit a painful one I am guessing, and we
13 > probably don't want to let everybody just arbitrarily change their
14 > uids on a whim if it takes effort by Infra and others to accommodate
15 > this.
16 >
17 >> I just think the price is too high for the benefits. There's life
18 >> outside Gentoo.
19 > I ack that this is an opinion others may have as well, which is why I
20 > did leave open the door to simply formalizing this. I for one welcome
21 > our robot overlords.
22 >
23 >> At first I wasn't sure if you asked this seriously
24 > I wasn't intending to troll. My intent was to just try to make a
25 > somewhat annoying/bikeshedding topic a bit lighter, as I knew it was
26 > destined to be this. There was also a bit of inside humor in there as
27 > well (genuinely not intended to re-open wounds and I hope this was the
28 > case).
31 I would propose some middle-ground where your IRC nick can diverge from
32 your @gentoo.org ID, but your IRC nick must be the one registered in
33 LDAP (semi-)permanently, and not changing from week to week.  I think
34 that it's the week-to-week changes that are causing the problem.
37 I am speaking as someone who has had the same IRC nick for 15+ years,
38 but chooses to use a more professional ID in other contexts like
39 official gentoo dev work.
42 -Ben (bkohler iamben)