From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo conflicts and leadership
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 15:07:37
1 On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 11:04:32 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Friday, January 6, 2017 1:12:04 AM EST Daniel Campbell wrote:
5 > > On 01/05/2017 02:47 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 > > > What could a "Chief Architect" do besides just pick one winner and
7 > > > have everybody else go elsewhere?
8 > >
9 > > Isn't that a bit of a false dichotomy? You're implying that a single
10 > > architect couldn't come to the same conclusion as a committee. A BDFL
11 > > could easily decide that choice is important and ask developers to keep
12 > > that in mind going forward... pretty much exactly as the Council has done.
13 > >
14 > > The 'B' part of BDFL is important.
15 >
16 > YES, Steve Jobs, Apple.
17 >
18 > Do you really need any better example? You think Oracle would be that without
19 > Larry Ellison? Bill and others left Microsoft and its just lost market share.
20 > Larry and Serge still run Google. Mark at Facebook, ever noticed the mailer,
21 > zuckmail....
22 >
23 > It is very foolish to thing boards or committees can do the same as
24 > visionaries. History shows otherwise. There is no better example than Apple.
25 > They thought they could run Apple better than Steve.
26 >
27 > Gentoo legally has been a mess since Daniel left. That is a fact! Look into
28 > the legal situation and you will see that cannot be contested, thus a fact.
29 > Now the other aspects could be contested, but I cannot see Gentoo hurting
30 > itself any worse than it has since Daniel left.
31 >
32 > Its just naysayers that cast doubt rather than being open minded to trying
33 > alternatives. While being involved in a project Daniel started.
34 >
35 > I am not surprised, Daniel gets no respect for founding Gentoo, the
36 > foundation, etc. I get no respect for what I did for the foundation.
37 >
38 > Steve Jobs was also not respected, till he was needed....
39
40 I see where you are going, William. I have to say that this surprised
41 me a bit, and I am very flattered by your trust. However, I'm sorry to
42 say that I don't feel like I'm interested in running Gentoo all by
43 myself at the moment.
46 Best regards,
47 Michał Górny
48 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>