From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-07-29
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 18:43:57
1 On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 1:50 PM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > For both /var/lib and /var/cache the FHS requires a <package>
4 > subdirectory. Unless we want this to be "portage", we could use
5 > "package-manager" (since virtual/package-manager is a package),
6 > or pretend that "pm" is an alias for it. This would lead us to the
7 > following paths, respectively:
8 >
9 > /var/lib/{package-manager,pm}/gentoo
10 > /var/cache/{package-manager,pm}/distfiles
11 > /var/cache/{package-manager,pm}/packages
12 >
13 > Alternatively, we could place either the gentoo tree, or all three of
14 > the above under /var/db (which doesn't follow the FHS, so no subdir
15 > requirement):
16 >
17 > /var/db/repos/gentoo
18 > /var/db/distfiles
19 > /var/db/packages
22 I'd suggest refactoring this a bit. We have a couple of directories.
23 We need to establish the base, and then the directory name under that.
24
25 We have:
26 distfiles
27 packages
28 main repo
29 overlays
30
31 These can go under:
32 /var/db
33 /var/cache
34 /var/lib
35
36 You have just about every sane permutation of these as options, so I
37 suggest considering the two separately.
38
39 I think the pros/cons of the second question have already been hashed
40 out. I tend to agree with the /var/lib arguments for all but
41 distfiles (FHS directly gives the example of browser cache in
42 /var/cache, and that is very much what distfiles is).
43
44 For the directory under each I suggest a gentoo/portage parent
45 directory, and then a tree underneath:
46 .../gentoo/repos/gentoo (this is PMS)
47 .../gentoo/repos/myoverlay (this is PMS)
48 .../gentoo/packages (I'm not sure if this is PMS - move to portage if not)
49 .../gentoo/distfiles (I don't think this is PMS, but it is so
50 generic that it probably should be considered shared)
51 .../portage/edb (I think this is portage-specific)
52 .../portage/pkg (I think this is also portage-specific)
53
54 Stuff that is specific to portage and not specified in PMS would go in
55 .../portage. Stuff that is PMS-specified would go in .../gentoo.
56
57 Note that not all these directories need be under the same base. We
58 could have /var/lib/gentoo/repos, and /var/cache/gentoo/distfiles.
59 So, the base needs to be decided for each.
60
61 Finally, my list of final recommendations given this framework:
62
63 /var/lib/gentoo/repos/gentoo (I'm fine with cache here as well)
64 /var/cache/gentoo/packages (These are package builds and are
65 completely reproducible.)
66 /var/cache/gentoo/distfiles (This is literally a network cache/mirror)
67 /var/cache/portage/edb (This is portage-specific,
68 but it can be regenerated)
69 /var/lib/portage/pkg (This is the must-preserve
70 metadata state of the system, in portage's internal format.)
71 /var/lib/portage/world (Current state - at least
72 something is already in the right place...)
75 Rich