From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Date-of-birth in developer applications
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 14:19:17
1 >>>>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2018, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > Past developers may not be reachable, cooperative, or even alive.
4
5 > If we need information or assurances from them, we should obtain it
6 > BEFORE we accept commits, not try to chase it down years later.
7
8 Right, but we can do so only for the future, but not fix any past
9 mistakes.
10
11 > I'd be interested in any cases where we felt this was necessary.
12 > I know that a lot of work was done recently to try to figure out the
13 > license history of the tree, but honestly I'm not convinced it was
14 > necessary, and legally digging into messy situations can sometimes
15 > even be harmful. In general I think forward-looking solutions tend
16 > to be best unless there is a clear legal duty to look backwards.
17
18 The tree may be the least of our problems, because all files have a
19 license notice there.
20
21 For other things like documentation, I had contacted some retired
22 devs. For example, parts of the devmanual were under CC-BY-SA-1.0 and
23 needed explicit relicensing by its author.
24
25 Another example, a few days ago I stumbled upon this:
26 https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo/xml/htdocs/dtd/
27 (It's in https://gitweb.gentoo.org/data/dtd.git/tree/ nowadays,
28 without its history.)
29
30 Assuming that these files are copyrightable (and I would say so, for
31 a file with 300+ lines and 10 kB size), they should really have a
32 license header. So, should we try to contact all authors, or continue
33 to ignore the issue? (Or even, rewrite everything from scratch?)
34
35 Ulrich