From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Is an umbrella organization a good choice for Gentoo?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 20:11:36
1 On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 01:27:56PM -0500, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > On 20-08-26 21:23:41, Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
3 > > https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2020/08/25/is-an-umbrella-organization-a-good-choice-for-gentoo/
4 > >
5 > > While I'm not the author, I think it's an excellent writeup.
8 > Yep, looked good. The one thing I'd like to see it compared to is
9 > re-incororation as a non-profit (which may be a requirement to be
10 > absorbed under an umbrella org anyway).
11 >
12 > --
13 > Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)
14
15 I agree with both the article and Matthew. We also need to explore the
16 possibility of reincorporation.
17
18 We all should consider the possibility that no umbrella takes
19 us for various reasons. We may be to large/small, we may have to
20 reincorporate first to clear taxes fully, they may not have the
21 resources to handle our project, etc.
22
23 Additionally, the article is correct and an umbrella is ideal given
24 certain factors (e.g. overhead cost, like ideals, etc.)
25
26 Finally, we should consider (should no umbrella take us) whether
27 reincorporation + retention of services will interest more for "running"
28 the Foundation.
29
30 There are a few options here and I think we can set ourselves (as a
31 distro) up for success by preparing and discussing all possible options.
32 Let's not sell ourselves on one idea simply because it looks appealing
33 right now.
36 Cheers,
37 Aaron