From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 3 April 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:02:21
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 09:50:19AM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> 3. New udev and separate /usr partition (30 minutes) > > See [4]: "Decide on whether a separate /usr is still a supported > configuration. If it is, newer udev can not be stabled and > alternatives should be investigated. If it isn't, a lot of > documentation will have to be updated. (And an alternative should > likely still be provided.)"
Is it truely that much documentation? The handbook doesn't suggest separate /usr anymore (all example partitions use a single / file system), and the necessary changes to setup an initramfs are being prepared (cfr bugs related to bug #407959). There will be some updates in the quickinstall for raid/lvm, but that's hardly a minor update to the document. We might want to provide an initramfs-guide to explain the concepts and the various methods for generating one (as well as debugging), but that too might not be the most difficult thing out there (there's still time for that, no)? Wkr, Sven Vermeulen