From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 06:41:41
1 On 01/06/2017 01:49 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > There isn't a real need for OpenGPG signatures on applications
3
4 I disagree. Becoming a Gentoo developer gives you a key to a clubhouse,
5 so to speak. We need to be sure that we're trusting exactly one person
6 (in this case, a GPG/SSH key) and granting them access. It keeps
7 Gentoo's Web of Trust a little better managed, as it limits vulnerability.
8
9 That said: sure, there's nothing stopping a group from using a single
10 key, but they'd have to be incredibly well-coordinated and agree on
11 practically all of their communications, commit messages, etc. The
12 likelihood that producing a single GPG key and single SSH key is a large
13 barrier to Gentoo entry is low, especially considering we're entrusting
14 them to be ideologically and technically savvy. If they can't leap the
15 minor hurdle of producing the keys necessary to access the servers, can
16 they be trusted to write decent ebuilds, manage infra, or understand
17 enough about Gentoo to hold a vote-bearing position?
18
19 In the grand scheme of things, producing a key and asking for one to get
20 access isn't a big deal. Any issues with bureaucracy and recruitment is
21 definitely elsewhere; GPG/SSH is the easiest part.
22
23 This verification process that some have thrown around is a plus, but
24 not something I'd consider required unless we approve specific methods
25 of verification and it's not unreasonable. (For example, having a quick
26 video conversation and sharing the contents of their keys live, etc)
27
28 There are still pitfalls with that, too, however, because some of us may
29 not have constant home connections or very much bandwidth (think
30 dial-up). It's for that reason I'm okay with keys but against forced
31 verification.
32 --
33 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
34 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
35 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6