From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] pre-GLEP: Gentoo OpenPGP web of trust
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2019 14:32:43
1 On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 9:17 AM Cynede <cynede@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I'd like Gentoo to support pseudonyms (for the purposes of privacy) as
4 > FSF projects does, and in that case ID/webcam verification with OpenPGP
5 > keys being signed by members of trustee makes real sense. (probably
6 > that could be off-topic here)
7
8 IMO this is fairly tangential to the WoT issue.
9
10 However, I'll point out the main issue with allowing pseudonyms is
11 that it basically reduces skin in the game. People are probably less
12 likely to treat each other terribly if it will result in them never
13 getting another job. On the other hand, people will behave better if
14 they know their reputation within Gentoo will translate into better
15 opportunities for them in the real world.
16
17 If somebody has a serious need for anonymity and safety, chances are
18 that some friendly government is already going to give them a new
19 name, but failing that perhaps exceptions could be made on an
20 individual basis. I don't think the simple desire to remain anonymous
21 ought to be one of them.
24 Rich