From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Statement of the Gentoo council regarding recent events (virtuals, QA masking)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 21:37:40
1 Dear Gentoo developers,
2
3 also as a consequence of recent events regarding new virtuals, masking by QA
4 and then unmasking, we as the Gentoo council would like to express our opinion
5 [1] on the following four points, both in a broad context and closely related:
6
7 =========
8
9 1) The council encourages teams maintaining central parts of Gentoo to accept
10 new developers as team members and teach them the required knowledge and
11 intricacies. We consider this important to ensure long-term continuity and
12 increase the bus factor in critical areas.
13
14 2) While it is any developer's choice not to participate on the gentoo-dev and
15 gentoo-project mailing lists, they nevertheless serve as main communication
16 channels. If something has been discussed there, and then action has been
17 taken, the council regards ignorance of the discussion not as a good
18 foundation for protests against the actions.
19
20 3) The council believes that a wide announcement and if needed discussion of
21 changes to central parts of Gentoo (as, e.g., system packages, profiles)
22 should be preferred. In particular, only informing "relevant people" makes no
23 sense if others will also be affected.
24
25 4) The council strongly disapproves of any developers unilaterally reverting
26 QA team actions. While any future case decisions lie with QA and ComRel
27 teams, the council welcomes the idea of immediate sanctions in such a case. An
28 individual developer who disagrees with an action made in the name of QA,
29 whether the action is proper or not, MUST follow the escalation procedures set
30 forth in GLEP 48, and is encouraged to work with QA, or ComRel and the
31 council, if necessary, to settle any concerns. The council will follow up on
32 any accusations of QA abuse the same way as on any commit that is in conflict
33 with a QA action.
34
35 =========
36
37 While nothing of this statement is so far in itself an official policy
38 decision, we would nevertheless be grateful if all of you would consider these
39 points.
40
41 Best,
42 Andreas for the whole council