From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Summary of joint meeting between council and trustees
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 09:32:16
1 Thanks very much for compiling this.
2
3 Yes, this email reply is somewhat chatty in nature, but I'm recovering from
4 the flu and need something to distract myself from my swollen tonsils at
5 1:48 AM in the morning, and I think it's worth saying (maybe that is the
6 antibiotics talking...)
7
8 The code of conduct enforcement, and the FreeBSD and Donnie videos. Getting
9 rid of assholes seems like a great idea. Strict enforcement of a code of
10 conduct seems like the right way to go. After all, if we don't, we might
11 get sued. And yet something about it rubs me the wrong way. I will share a
12 story -- I recently got pulled over by a cop for speeding in Santa Fe, NM,
13 on a rural road. The guy seemed to be a brand new cop (I confirmed this
14 after the fact by looking up his police academy graduating class online
15 after our encounter.) As he approached my window to ask for my license, he
16 just seemed a bit dead behind the eyes. His ultra-dispassionate posture
17 almost seemed strangely threatening, or alien. It made me wonder what he
18 was actually thinking -- like was he mentally reviewing the books of
19 statutes he had studied, trying to find some rule that would allow him to
20 shoot me dead on the spot? Eek. He ended up writing me *two* tickets --
21 including a mandatory court appearance in front of a judge -- for things
22 that more seasoned police officers would have simply given me a friendly
23 warning about and decided not to pursue. He seemed excited when I couldn't
24 find a current proof of registration lost in my glove box or forgotten at
25 home. More opportunities to dispense justice! And no, I was not doing
26 anything except going a bit fast on a lightly-traveled rural country road.
27
28 I share this story to point out a paradox. In theory, this police officer's
29 job in enforcing the laws of the land is to bring some civility and mutual
30 respect to our streets and communities. And yet, they are also in a
31 position of power and can be threatening, overbearing, and overly punitive,
32 putting everyone 'on guard.' Can we make a society more civil by flooding
33 it with legions of brand new police officers? And what makes a good police
34 officer? In my opinion, a good police officer can relate to someone else as
35 a fellow human being, and have the ability to not use this power
36 punitively, having some amount of respect for the power that they wield on
37 behalf of their community
38
39 Similarly to this example, for Gentoo, I'd also like to suggest that
40 application of rules cannot be a solution in itself. We need to have a
41 program to actually recognize and model GOOD behavior, and get that to be
42 an intrinsic part of the culture, something that is a living part of the
43 project. Like, "how many other people did you help out today?" "When was
44 the last time you offered words of encouragement to someone else?" It may
45 sound kind of lame, but when you realize how important it is to have a
46 positive culture, it makes it worth doing and talking about. It's about
47 recognizing what we DON'T want to be, so we're willing to sound a bit like
48 Mr. Rogers or Bob Ross from The Joy of Painting -- because the alternative
49 was much worse (Side-note: Bob Ross was in the military. A quote: "I was
50 the guy who makes you scrub the latrine, the guy who makes you make your
51 bed, the guy who screams at you for being late to work. The job requires
52 you to be a mean, tough person. And I was fed up with it. I promised myself
53 that if I ever got away from it, it wasn't going to be that way anymore.")
54 We all need to make such promises to ourselves. And if a code of conduct is
55 framed in this way, as a promise made to oneself to continually improve
56 ones conduct towards others, then it's something I support.
57
58 But I'm afraid of the dark side -- that the reflexive enforcement of
59 so-called 'codes of conduct' can itself be quite threatening, overbearing
60 and punitive, and suck life out of a project. Like my encounter with a
61 brand-new cop, it can also attract people who like to wield power for the
62 wrong reasons, and cause things to spin MORE out of control rather than
63 improve.Then in our lack of wisdom, we decide to flood the project with
64 brand new police officers who have a lack of restraint, wisdom and
65 compassion, as if that will make anything better. That's why I think it's
66 so important to NOT to focus on the bad behavior exclusively -- but make
67 sure that there is a process to reward the GOOD -- incorporate this into
68 Gentoo culture. Focus on the solution first, and by doing so, attack the
69 problem by removing its foundation.
72 On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 6:10 PM, Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>