From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2021-04-11
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 20:26:55
1 On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 20:22:25 +0300 Joonas Niilola wrote:
4 > On 4/8/21 7:37 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
5 > >
6 > > It's admittedly a grey area here. We use CDNs for various web
7 > > components (packages.gentoo.org for example) and we use a CDN for
8 > > distfiles.gentoo.org. Is Github simply a CDN for gentoo.git? Its an
9 > > open question we have discussed on the gentoo-nfp list.
10 > >
11 > > In general I'm not really sold on the benefits of git as a replication
12 > > protocol; while I dislike running a global rsync network the
13 > > maintenance of the network is basically nil from infra's end and so I
14 > > don't feel significant pressure to move to git. Could you perhaps
15 > > articulate why you think it's important for clients to move to git?
16 > >
17 > > -A
20 > It provides much better user experience with continuously faster
21 > sync-times. Also there's error posts frequently in the forums when using
22 > rsync, even recently.
23
24 Only if you have fast and reliable uplink. Try to terminate sync
25 connection and resume in cycle. Rsync will do the job and recover,
26 so users will be able to sync on poor connection; git will start
27 over again and again, and again… Git can't continue failed
28 transfer, it will restart it from scratch. Second try will be
29 likely faster due to server-side cache, but a bulk transfer itself
30 can't be resumed, only repeated.
31
32 Try to fetch historical git using git clone by the way.
33
34 Best regards,
35 Andrew Savchenko