From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Date-of-birth in developer applications
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 11:42:13
1 On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 7:12 AM Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 06/20/2018 12:52 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 4:32 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >> Please tell me, how many times did we have to disambiguate two
7 > >> developers using the same name? Even if we ever have to do that, do you
8 > >> really think we'd use one's birthday all over the place?
9 > >
10 > > Even if we've had two people from the same location with the same
11 > > name, WHY would we ever have to use their date of birth to identify
12 > > them? We already have their nicks which is what we use internally,
13 > > and those are always unique.
14 >
15 > One morbid example would be someone getting a stone in the back of their
16 > head, at which point the nick will likely not help much... But the
17 > underlying need is likely to arise more due to other circumstances for
18 > needing to contact, say a retired dev needs to provide evidence in a
19 > copyright case and we need to track them down to get said statement.
20
21 The "underlying need" is what I'm getting at. Do we REALLY need to
22 track developers post-retirement? If we do, is DOB really the best
23 way to do this?
24
25 And what are we going to do when some retired developer asks us to
26 forget about them? I don't think legally we need to go retract
27 published info, but that DOB seems very much the sort of thing that
28 would be risky to hold on to if somebody explicitly told us they don't
29 want us to retain it. We'd probably need justification to do so.
32 > > As far as I'm aware, under most privacy laws and policies I've seen,
33 > > name+DOB is just as sensitive as a government ID number. If
34 > > collecting the latter makes you recoil in horror, then you should be
35 > > just as concerned about DOB collection.
36 >
37 > I'm not, but views of truestees might differ on that; we have reasons to
38 > collect it, it is part of recruiting process known to developer, so the
39 > legal matter wouldn't be on the collecting part but the storage part,
40 > and here they differ quite a lot in practice (although it shouldn't as
41 > even SSN is just a Primary Key in theory).
42
43 WP has what appears to be a decent article, and it lists DOB as
44 explictly personally-identifying:
45 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personally_identifiable_information
46
47 The US law explicitly lists DOB (cited there):
48 Information which can be used to distinguish or trace an individual's
49 identity, such as their name, social security number, biometric
50 records, etc. alone, or when combined with other personal or
51 identifying information which is linked or linkable to a specific
52 individual, such as date and place of birth, mother’s maiden name,
53 etc.
54
55 It goes on to cite the EU:
56 Article 2a: 'personal data' shall mean any information relating to an
57 identified or identifiable natural person ('data subject'); an
58 identifiable person is one who can be identified, directly or
59 indirectly, in particular by reference to an identification number or
60 to one or more factors specific to his physical, physiological,
61 mental, economic, cultural or social identity;
62
63 You brought up the scenario of tracking somebody down in the real
64 world. It seems to me that if we actually collect enough info to be
65 able to do this, then by definition we fall directly in the crosshairs
66 of both.
67
68 I'd start with the underlying issue: do we need to identify specific
69 individuals and retain this identity? What exactly do we need
70 (starting from zero), and what is the least amount of info we need to
71 collect to get there?
72
73 My understanding is that these are the basic principles of most modern
74 privacy law, and if we stick to those we'll probably be fairly safe as
75 these laws change (assuming we sufficiently protect the info we do
76 need to collect).
77
78 The principles cited in that article actually raise other thorny
79 issues as well, such as name+location if the name is unique enough. I
80 couldn't begin to tell you whether half of Oslo are named
81 Fiskerstrand, or if you're the only one in the phone book.
84 Rich