From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: separate /usr preparation vote
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 03:47:28
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 08/18/2013 11:10 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
6 >> Basically the status quo includes specific changes that were made in
7 >> our packaging to allow this sort of working separate /usr without
8 >> initramfs configuration to continue limping along, but we need to undo
9 >> them.
10 >
11 > Why do we have to undo them?
12 >
13 > I can understand that implementing them was a waste of time, but that
14 > time is already wasted. Does it take much effort to maintain the
15 > fixes? For all I know they do - but could you articulate this?
16 >
17 > I fully support that we should stop doing any more work to keep a
18 > separate /usr working without an initramfs. My question is why do we
19 > need to start undoing the work that has already been done?
20
21 Because, the work that has already been done makes no bloody sense.
22 bzip2 is in / but not xz or lbzip2.
23
24 The cruelest prank of all of this bullspit, systemd is installed in /
25 despite many upstreams hardcoding THE CORRECT LOCATION of /usr. Yeah,
26 that's right, we are moving things to / and breaking systems and then
27 upstream just laughs at us when we report bugs.
28
29 It is not possible to keep systems running like this, and it is HARMING
30 us to even try. Please, stop moving things from /usr to /, and please
31 move things back where upstream expects them. Honestly I'm considering
32 a /usr merge on my system just to stop all this stupidity from breaking
33 my system.
34
35 v/r
36 Zero
37 >
38 > If you can point to some package where everytime upstream does a bump
39 > you have to redo 47 patches to keep it working in / but it would just
40 > work effortlessly if it were in /usr, that would be a great argument
41 > to move it back to /usr on the next bump. Maybe there is something
42 > else which is causing you to waste time.
43 >
44 > I'd just like to hear a driver for reverting the work that was already
45 > done. I fully get the argument that the work shouldn't have been
46 > required in the first place. What I don't get is now that the effort
47 > is sunk why it needs to be ditched. I think many would like to
48 > understand the drivers here.
49 >
50 > Otherwise it seems to me like the best path forward is to stop making
51 > new fixes, but just hang onto the ones we have until they no longer
52 > work. At some point upstream will make a change that forces our hand,
53 > but why not wait until then? What does it cost us to wait?
54 >
55 > Rich