From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2017-09-10
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 20:13:38
1 >>>>> On Tue, 29 Aug 2017, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 > the Gentoo Council will meet again on 2017-09-10 at 18:00 utc.
4 > Please reply to this message with any items you would like us to discuss
5 > or vote on.
6
7 I request the Council to approve a PMS change, namely to ban empty
8 dependency groups like "|| ( )" or "foo? ( )".
9
10 Currently, any parenthesised groups in package dependency
11 specifications [1] are permitted to contain zero items, and such empty
12 groups evaluate to true. For logical disjuctions like "|| ( )" this
13 deviates from the usual convention that empty operations should
14 evaluate to false.
15
16 As was recently discovered, Portage was changed in 2011 to treat empty
17 dependency groups as an error. Apparently nobody has missed the
18 feature for six years, and no ebuild (or eclass) in the Gentoo
19 repository is using it.
20
21 I see removing empty groups retroactively for all EAPIs (therefore
22 tightening the rules for ebuilds) as the best path of action, because
23 ebuilds cannot rely on proper package manager support for the feature.
24
25 Proposed patch for PMS is in [2].
26
27 Ulrich