From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Should DevRel members be in Council?
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 11:50:27
1 On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 7:31 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 08/14/2011 12:27 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Perhaps the Council should be released from this task at all, and
5 >> instead should be given the job to assemble a jury out of the dev
6 >> community (with non-involvement in DevRel) that is to examine the
7 >> case, and make a final verdict that the Council will accept/act
8 >> upon.
9 >>
10 > Same problem as before. You need to make sure that the jury will not be
11 > biased. This introduces another layer of bureaucracy. We have enough of
12 > them already
15 I'm not sure we want an "unbiased" jury (as if such a thing could ever
16 exist). We want a jury that is biased to agree with the majority of
17 the Dev community. I'd suggest that one already exists - the council.
18
19 It seems to me that there is some kind of concern about "fairness" and
20 that begs the question "what is fair?" Gentoo is a community-driven
21 distro, and we all have to live with each other. We should try to
22 foster a diversity of ideas, but when somebody is acting like a jerk,
23 then we're allowed to call them on that. Ultimately if they don't
24 want to cooperate we're not required to let them disrupt the project.
25 Nobody has a right to be an asshole, and when they're prevented from
26 being such it isn't "unfair."
27
28 So, what is fair? I'd say that fair is whatever a majority of the
29 community wants it to be. It is in our interests to not turn away
30 help, and to seek contribution from wherever it is offered. So, we
31 already have incentive to bear with productive people who sometimes
32 behave poorly. We don't need to find some kind of arbitrator who will
33 force us to bear with a problem longer than we wish to.
34
35 Now, having a team that specializes in dealing with problems just
36 makes sense, just like it makes sense to have people who love PERL
37 maintain the PERL herd. The only reason PERL issues should go before
38 the Council is if a PERL problem causes trouble for everybody else.
39 If that happens then the council should do its job - figure out what
40 the community needs and make it happen. Devrel decisions are no
41 different.
42
43 I think the only cause for a council or trustee member to recuse
44 themselves is a personal conflict of interest. If I propose some
45 great way to spend foundation funds, I'm not going to recuse myself
46 from the vote just because it was my idea. On the other hand, if I
47 propose that a company I own shares in do some job for the foundation
48 then I'm going to disclose that conflict of interest up-front, and
49 more than likely I would recuse myself. Having an educated opinion
50 isn't a conflict of interest, but having a specific and personal
51 relationship to the matter being discussed is. My feeling is that
52 Council members should only recuse themselves from Devrel actions if
53 they're very personally involved - such as being a very close personal
54 friend or relative of the "accused," or if they were personally
55 heavily involved in the complaint itself. Even that is a gray area -
56 just because a council member points out that somebody is behaving
57 badly doesn't make them personally involved - the problem needs to
58 strongly impact them in a personal way that it doesn't impact the
59 community at large.
60
61 Rich