From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] 'Gentoo in 2020' summary
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 20:34:26
1 On Sun, 2021-01-03 at 14:48 -0500, Aisha Tammy wrote:
2 > On 1/3/21 3:35 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Hi, everyone.
4 > >
5 > > I think it would be really great if we could publish a summary of
6 > > (good) things that happened in Gentoo in 2020. We weren't able to
7 > > maintain Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, nor Monthly. However, we might be
8 > > able to manage at least a yearly Newsletter ;-).
9 > >
10 > > I know I'm going to regret this but I volunteer to take care of
11 > > combining and publishing the data. Nevertheless, I'd really appreciate
12 > > if you could reply to this mail with ideas of what you think would be
13 > > worth listing. I'd also use a native English speaker for editorial
14 > > help.
17 > > Please reply with your ideas in the form of:
18 > >
19 > > [sort-key] **A short sentence summarizing the change.** 1-3 sentences
20 > > of detailed explanation.
21 > >
22 > > I think we'll publish this on the website, so please use Markdown
23 > > and possibly link to the relevant projects. The idea is that the users
24 > > can skim through the changes in bold, and decide whether they want to
25 > > read on.
28 > > Example:
29 > >
30 > >   [dist-kernel] **The [Distribution Kernel](https://...) project was
31 > > launched to install kernels directly from ebuilds.** To lower
32 > > the entry barrier and maintenance effort, the project also provides
33 > > a stock configuration for popular architectures based on Fedora.
36 > > I think we'll then split it into a few groups. I'm thinking of:
37 > >
38 > > 1. New developers (yay!).
39 > > 2. Major changes (focused on things impacting end users).
40 > > 3. Other changes.
43 > > WDYT?
46 > Getting the science overlay into a much better and almost usable
47 > state. There are now enthusiastic people who are starting
48 > to contribute to the overlay and adding a lot of fixes.
49 > So I'd say, getting a new life for the science project is also
50 > something nice that has happened :D
51 >
52 > Special thanks to chymera and andrew for being super enthusiastic
53 > in fixing the overlay :D
54
55 I do appreciate it but I'm not sure if this is something specific
56 enough to be mentioned in 'major changes'. I'll see how other things
57 go and we'll see then. However, if you have something more specific
58 like 'we added these super useful packages' or stuff like that, I think
59 it would be more interesting PR-wise.
62 Best regards,
63 Michał Górny