From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 14 August 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 00:04:26
1 On 08/14/2012 03:21 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Dienstag, 14. August 2012, 23:55:47 schrieb Zac Medico:
3 >> It seems like there's some confusion here. Approving a new EAPI and
4 >> deciding to use a new EAPI in a given profile are two entirely different
5 >> things. If we want to us a new EAPI in a profile, we just have to deploy
6 >> it such that users are only exposed to that profile when they
7 >> consciously running `eselect profile` (and they can always revert back
8 >> to the previous profile if it turns out that their installed package
9 >> manager doesn't support the new profile).
10 >
11 > Yeah but... either
12 > 1) we use such an obscure profile that noone actually notices the change, or
13 > 2) we try to change something in the "big, well-known profiles",
14 > and then we're back at the start.
15 >
16 > So what good is including a feature in a new profile if there is no way to
17 > make it visible to "the users" in general?
18
19 You do it in all the new profiles, and deprecate the old profiles. Users
20 see the profile deprecation notice (or news item or other announcement)
21 and upgrade their profile.
22
23 > Also, in this particular case, "stable use masking" is useful because it makes
24 > stabilization possible/simpler in cases where otherwise this would lead to
25 > broken dependencies (stable depending on ~arch). If only one small sub-profile
26 > provides the feature, we lose its whole advantage.
27
28 Yeah, that's why I'm saying to do it in *all* new profiles and deprecate
29 the old ones.
30 --
31 Thanks,
32 Zac