From: Jimi Huotari <chiitoo@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Shutting down the Off the Wall (was: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items ...)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 18:04:18
1 On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 11:20:06 +0000
2 Sam James <sam@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > On 15 Dec 2020, at 11:03, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
5 > > <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > David Seifert schrieb:
8 > >> On Sun, 2020-12-13 at 15:36 +0100, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
9 > >>> Finally please also allow me to ask why 30+ days after all of this
10 > >>> started, nobody from forums team took yet any action, i.e. the post I
11 > >>> showed on Friday is still untouched. Have I missed an issued
12 > >>> warning/ban?
13 > >
14 > >> I think the forum mods agree with you:
15 > >> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8543599.html#8543599
16 > >>> Of the random set I surveyed, I did not find any posts that, in my
17 > >>> opinion, rose to the level of a violation.
18 > >
19 > > "I will note that due to the volume of poorly explained reports, I
20 > > gave up before reading nearly all the reported posts, so some of the
21 > > reported posts may well deserve to be reported."
22 > >
23 > > Ok, so overloading the forum moderation with frivolous requests will
24 > > obviously lead to the legitimate requests getting inadequate attention.
25 > >
26 > > I consider those who started digging in historical posts and mass
27 > > reporting them as acting in bad faith here.
28 >
29 > That isn’t what actually happened though. Soap and I both reported posts
30 > we individually found offensive on the first few pages of the forum.
31 > There was no effort to go back through 13+ years of archives and report
32 > any infringing material - that would be a huge waste of time on our part
33 > and the moderators.
34 >
35 > It’s a misrepresentation of two people who figured they’d better follow
36 > the formal process to see if _that_ changes anything.
37
38 While there might have been some good intentions there, the timing was
39 quite poor.
40
41 The voting for what will happen with Off the Wall was right around the
42 corner, though things had already been pretty much decided before that
43 point.
44
45 Indeed, I would say this wasn't a very good use of anyone's time
46 and/or energy.