From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Making "stabilization" a prerequisite to become a Gentoo Developer
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 21:17:45
1 On Sun, Oct 01, 2017 at 06:13:32PM -0500, Christopher Díaz wrote:
2 > Hello everyone,
3 >
4 > I would like to propose to the community a new policy in the process of
5 > "becoming a developer". Here is the initial draft, do not hesitate to
6 > point out anything that needs to be discussed.
7 >
8 > Abstract
9 >
10 > Given the necessity of testing and stabilizing software in Gentoo Linux
11 > and the ammount of testers is not enough to test all the packages on
12 > the given architectures, this GLEP proposes to make the "testing" and
13 > "stabilization"  processes a required stage to become a Gentoo Linux
14 > Developer.
15
16 Firstly, thanks for taking the time to draft something. It's evident you
17 care about testing quite a bit. :)
18
19 I don't think requiring every developer to test packages to Arch team
20 standards will do the distro much good. Building a distro has a
21 multitude of facets, and developer skillsets will not be uniform across
22 the distro. We all come from different backgrounds, education,
23 interests, and specialties. I'll explain more below.
27 > Motivation
28 >
29 > The necessity of manpower in Gentoo Linux is obvious and several
30 > projects need more people to be able to achieve their goals. One
31 > critical project is the Arch testers project, which needs people to be
32 > able to know the procedure to test and mark as stable a given package,
33 > this impacts on the whole community because if arch testers are not
34 > capable to test all the needed packages, all the other projects can't
35 > go further with their goals.
36 >
37 > At this point, the process to become a Gentoo Developer does not
38 > explicitly require testing and stabilization. As this part is crucial
39 > to better understand how to fix ebuilds, each future developer should
40 > know the procedure to test and stabilize not only their own packages,
41 > but to help other developers in the stabilization work.
42 >
43 > The AT Project was created on January 2005 to reduce the developer's
44 > load and the amount of open keywording bugs for the amd64 porting team.
45 > Since then many users have volunteered to become ATs and after that
46 > became full developers. GLEP 41 already tried to give arch testers a
47 > "staff" status in the community, but rather than creating a new status,
48 > this new "stage" in the "becoming developer" procedure should be
49 > considered as a test of perseverance. At the same time, this is a great
50 > way to teach gentoo users how portage works and how to debug their
51 > future ebuilds.
52 >
53 > Prepare the next generation of developers to be able to test and
54 > stabilize their own packages, and help other devs in stabilization,
55 > would benefit the whole community and give all mentors, recruiters and
56 > users wanting to become a official gentoo developer a starting point
57 > with endless work to do, and at the same time mentors and recruiters
58 > would have a place to look for prospectives developers.
59
60 While well-intentioned, we need to consider the work that will go into
61 training said developers -- new or old -- to adapt their workflow to fit
62 in testing. If we simply make package testing another hurdle in the
63 journey to become a developer, what we end up with is a lot of packages
64 *claimed* to be tested, but since the people doing all this new testing
65 aren't as skilled at it, there will be packages that slip through the
66 cracks, and those people will be chastized by senior members. I've seen
67 it happen personally, and can dig through archives if anyone wants to
68 challenge that statement.
69
70 If we want more developers to be better package testers, we need better
71 documentation, better tooling, and a more forgiving culture. The same
72 goes for QA, which as far as I know oversees the technical integrity of
73 the tree and thus would have a hand in the testing cookie jar.
77 > Specification
78 >
79 > In order to stablish this new policy, we need to complete this list of
80 > tasks (minimun required in my opinion):
81 >
82 > -As test and stabilization is arch-based, we need all AT teams to try
83 > to prepare an "official" procedure (all of them have very good
84 > guidelines right now).
85
86 These guidelines need to be more visible. Documentation is useless if
87 it's not disseminated so people know about it.
90 > -Mentors and recruiters should encourage recruits to test as much as
91 > they can, on all the given arch they are interested to, or have access
92 > to.
93
94 I'm fairly sure we already encourage new recruits to consider testing
95 packages. A "Starter's Guide to Testing/QA" would be a good fit for
96 that, assuming those teams want to get more people on-board.
99 > -The official ebuild-quiz already has an specific "arch testing"
100 > question, maybe as a Proof of Concept, the recruit should add bugs
101 > where he/she could proof that he knows the testing procedure.
102
103 I see this as creating bugs for little gain. The minutiae of bug
104 configuration is a subject of endless nitpicking. Bug filing standards
105 should be explicit and unambiguous. The problem with arch testing, like
106 just about every other part of Gentoo, is the poor rate of knowledge
107 transfer. A lot of details are kept in the heads of people rather than
108 being laid out in the open. While there is documentation for some
109 things, as I said above it's not very discoverable and our culture is
110 unforgiving. It's no surprise that people aren't chomping at the bit to
111 test packages; if things aren't 100% perfect, you get yelled at. Nobody
112 wants to volunteer on a project that will yell at them.
115 > -As many users starting in gentoo will start by testing and
116 > stabilization, AT teams would need to remember that they would interact
117 > with maybe not so experienced users and try to make the procedure as
118 > clear as posible to follow.
119
120 +1
124 > Rationale
125 >
126 > This solution aims to solve a more long-term problem, which is the
127 > necessity of having developers prepared to start a stabilization
128 > process if needed and not depending on an arch tester. The reality is
129 > that most current Gentoo Developers and Projects are overwhelmed with
130 > the ammount of work, but if all developers could help by testing
131 > another's package, maybe this could reduce the work or at least the
132 > time spent waiting for stabilization.
133
134 I think your idea is noble, but it comes down to "do QA and Arch testers
135 care enough to make their job easier and invite others?" I suspect there
136 are territorial behaviors at work that prevent people from learning and
137 improving their packages through testing. As long as our culture is
138 insular, this problem will remain.
139
140 This looks like a situation that QA and Arch testers should issue public
141 statements on. They work closest with package testing and it's a good
142 opportunity for them to let the rest of the community know how things
143 are going. I can't speak for others, but I'd like to read what they have
144 to say on the matter.
145
146 Thanks again for sharing. Hopefully this initiative will start
147 constructive discourse.
150 > Copyright
151 >
152 > This work is lecensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike
153 > 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit https://cre
154 > ativecommons.org/licences/by-sa/3.0
157 > Christopher Díaz Riveros ChrisADR