From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 08:47:31
1 05.02.2015 22:16, Michał Górny пишет:
2 > Dnia 2015-02-05, o godz. 22:05:55
3 > Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 >> 05.02.2015 21:22, Michał Górny пишет:
6 >>> Dnia 2015-02-05, o godz. 21:08:43
7 >>> Mikle Kolyada <zlogene@g.o> napisał(a):
8 >>>
9 >>>>
10 >>>> 05.02.2015 09:56, Michał Górny пишет:
11 >>>>> Hello, everyone.
12 >>>>>
13 >>>>> It's finally time to discuss some of the recruitment issues. It's not
14 >>>>> a new complaint that the process is time-consuming and discouraging to
15 >>>>> our contributors. We have a pretty low number of new recruits [well,
16 >>>>> we could definitely have a higher number!] and too often they resign
17 >>>>> in the process.
18 >>>>>
19 >>>>> As I see it, the main issue are ebuild quizzes. They are very time-
20 >>>>> consuming and discouraging. It's like filling a quiz with relatively
21 >>>>> simple questions where answers need to fit a key, and you have to tell
22 >>>>> the recruit to fill in the missing bits a few times just to help him
23 >>>>> get further.
24 >>>>>
25 >>>>> I myself attempted ebuild quiz twice, because the first time I simply
26 >>>>> ended up not having the time for it. My late recruit was making slow
27 >>>>> progress, and recently vanished -- hopefully only because he doesn't
28 >>>>> have will for that anymore. As I see it, the disadvantages outweigh
29 >>>>> the benefits here.
30 >>>>>
31 >>>>> I have discussed this with kensington and a few Council members
32 >>>>> (unofficially), and we came up with following ideas:
33 >>>>>
34 >>>>> 1. remove or reduce the ebuild quiz to a reasonable number of
35 >>>>> questions. In other words, make it bearable. Focus on the stuff that
36 >>>>> can't be checked otherwise.
37 >>>>>
38 >>>>> 2. Add an extra contribution period in which the candidate commits to
39 >>>>> the tree through Pull Requests. Developers watch the requests, review
40 >>>>> them and decide when the recruit is ready. We may extend this with
41 >>>>> requirements like '3 different developers must review late activities
42 >>>>> and evaluate them'.
43 >>>>>
44 >>>>> 3. Possibly extend the recruit-recruiter interaction. Rather than
45 >>>>> treating the interrogation as some kind of final confirmation, make it
46 >>>>> a small extra part of the learning process. In other words, reduce
47 >>>>> the other parts, fill in the blanks here.
48 >>>>>
49 >>>>> What do you think?
50 >>>>>
51 >>>> I try to be short.
52 >>>> First of all, i'm against to make quizzes simpler or shorter. I have few
53 >>>> real examples, when people do a LOT of mistakes even after they passed
54 >>>> the quizzes.
55 >>>
56 >>> And how people doing mistakes *after* passing the quizzes proves that
57 >>> quizzes are good? As I see it, this just proves that they don't do
58 >>> their job.
59 >>>
60 >>
61 >> Because quizes lacks some questions? You see - we should not shorten
62 >> them, but on the contrary - increase the question's number.
63 >>
64 >> So, that's a not good argument. Quizes may be flawed, but not in the way
65 >> of 'over complicated', definitely.
66 >
67 > Sure. If the quizzes take so much nobody will bother writing them,
68 > there will be no more bad developers in Gentoo!
71 Let's throw the quizes away and give everyone commit access.
72 At least developers count will grow, for sure!
73
74 No matter that distro would be totally ruined, your goal would be achieved.
75
76 >>>>> Add an extra contribution period in which the candidate commits to
77 >>>> the tree through Pull Requests.
78 >>>>
79 >>>> All mentors should track their recruits during first month. If mentor
80 >>>> doesn't do this, this is "bad" mentor, IMO. It looks like some mentors
81 >>>> think *ok, my mentee passed the quizzes, he is a developer, i can to
82 >>>> nothing*
83 >>>
84 >>> This happens *after* being recruited. What I'm talking, there should be
85 >>> more focus on doing and judging actual contributions before all that
86 >>> formal crap.
87 >>>
88 >>
89 >> Yep. And, guess, who is responsible for that? Mentor. Tadaaam! :-)
90 >
91 > You still don't get my point. My point is: if a recruit has proven me
92 > (and possibly some other developers) that he can use grep, sed, awk,
93 > whatever just fine, why does he have to bother answering some stupid
94 > quiz question?
97 In current system recruiters can not track progress of every single
98 mentee, that's what mentors for.
99
100 If you want to prove your recruit is doing fine with all stuff - try not
101 to fight with quizes, but provide easy-to-use solution for viewing
102 commits for recruiters, that can be answers for quizes itself.
103
104 Can recruit use grep/sed/awk? That's the commit where he did this pretty
105 fine.
106
107 Does he know about live/snapshot ebuilds? That's commit where he used it.
108
109 Gathering apropriate commit links can be work, that could be done both
110 by mentor and recruit.
111
112 And yes, that would be also very time-consuming, but recruiters would be
113 glad for speeding up review sessions.
116 Best regards, Sergey Popov
117 Gentoo developer
118 Gentoo Desktop Effects project lead
119 Gentoo Quality Assurance project lead
120 Gentoo Proxy maintainers project lead