From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Council candidates: Future of the Foundation
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 08:27:33
1 >>>>> On Mon, 29 Jun 2020, Robin H Johnson wrote:
2
3 > Dear council candidates,
4 > I'd like to know what opinions you hold about the future of the
5 > Foundation. I intend to publicly post the same question for the
6 > Foundation Trustee candidates when that election starts.
7
8 > Q1: What are your feels on the recent history of the Foundation?
9 > (last 2-3 years)
10
11 > Q2: What should the Foundation do more of?
12
13 > Q3: What should the Foundation do less of?
14
15 Answering these three questions together.
16
17 IIUC the books are now in order, and the Foundation has settled its
18 issues with the IRS? This is good news.
19
20 Looking at financial reports from the last couple of years, there is way
21 more income than there are expenses. So looks like the Foundation has a
22 problem with cash outflow, and some ideas are definitely needed what to
23 do with the funds. (Admittedly, I don't have a solution at hand.)
24
25 The Nitrokey action was a nice effort, and good PR for Gentoo. There
26 could be more activities of similar kind.
27
28 > Q4: What should become of the Foundation?
29 > * something not the following list at all?
30 > * long-term continue to exist as-is non-501c6 state
31 > * finish 501c6 state
32 > * convert to 501c3 in some way
33
34 If it continues to exist, then one of the two tax-exempt states. I am
35 not familiar with the details, so I don't know what the legal obstacles
36 for either of them are. (As I understand it, 501c3 is the equivalent of
37 "gemeinnützig" in Germany.)
38
39 > * join an umbrella?
40 > ** what should the selection criterion be?
41
42 There may be not much choice. The umbrella organization must be large
43 enough, so are there any options other than SPI and SFC? Also, _they_
44 have to accept _us_.
45
46 > * disband entirely
47 > ** where should the financial holdings go?
48 > ** where should the copyright & trademark holdings go?
49 > ** what actions will be impacted by this?
50
51 I don't believe that's an option. A legal entity is needed for the
52 infrastructure and for the trademark.
53
54 Ulrich