From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] improving alternative PM support in gentoo
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 18:11:15
1 On 08/17/2015 07:33 PM, Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > After reading some replies in this thread, I thought I would share a
4 > little info about -user mailing list. I'm a long term subscriber there
5 > and read most threads.
6 >
7 > If someone asks a question about something Gentoo related, members do
8 > try to help. Example. If someone asks about RIAD, I don't reply
9 > because I don't use it and have no experience with it. However, others
10 > that do will reply and try to help. Same with systemd and other
11 > topics. If it is a topic that very few or no one uses, then they may
12 > not get help or very little of it.
13 >
14 > Basically, the only way I see that a person won't get help is if no one
15 > uses or has knowledge on that topic. I have a couple times asked
16 > questions about Ubuntu and got replies. There are a few people that use
17 > or have recently used Ubuntu and can answer some questions or they may
18 > be distro indifferent. Asking on the -user mailing list is better than
19 > subscribing to Ubuntu, asking and then unsubscribing or joining their
20 > forums.
21 >
22 > Hope that helps shed a little light that we do try to help if, IF, we can.
25 You are totally right. I didn't mean to discredit our support channels
26 which do a fantastic job. I was just noticing that there are still a few
27 things we can and should improve. Adding such sensible choices to the
28 official documentation (in what way exactly are details) is not only a
29 documentation improvement, but also a clear statement from our side and
30 encourages the community even further to support and openly discuss
31 these things everywhere (as long as they are Gentoo related).
32
33 The improvement of the documentation will also raise awareness about
34 these choices and encourage users to use them. That again may improve
35 our support situation, because more users will have knowledge about
36 these things.