From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Dropping rsync as a tree distribution method
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 18:42:29
1 On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 1:14 PM Brian Evans <grknight@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I personally would be sad to see rsync go as I use the git developer
4 > tree as my main repository on 2 machines. This is so I can develop and
5 > update from the single source. These have no news or md5-cache and it
6 > can be painful to generate metadata on one of them.
9 The stable git repos contain news and cache. Users would sync from these.
10
11 Also, people have mentioned concerns with load on infra, but
12 presumably if we have dozens of people willing to host rsync mirrors,
13 I'd think that we'd find enough willing to host git mirrors. And of
14 course there are a ton of semi-proprietary services that are free to
15 mirror on. I don't really see how it matters that much if we have
16 some mirrors that are proprietary - I doubt we have many servers with
17 FOSS firmware and CPUs and so on.
18
19 > Git has no easy sub-tree download equivalent that I know of.
20
21 The nature of git would make it very difficult to only clone part of a
22 repo as it is structured at the top level by commit, not directory.
23 Of course somebody could create their own mirror of only part of the
24 tree, but I'm not sure what the value of that would be. Your use case
25 of downloading metadata/etc isn't needed since we already have git
26 repos containing this.
29 Rich