From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: whissi@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 16:47:32
1 On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 05:25:20PM +0100, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > On 2018-11-15 16:51, Brian Dolbec wrote:
3 > > [...] That result came back that the contributions now require the SIE
4 > > attribution.
5 > >
6 > > Why is that so hard to understand...
7 >
8 > We understand that. But our problem is that we don't buy the argument "X
9 > requires Foo". We need something more. Now it looks like an arbitrary
10 > request.
11
12 Whether or not something is arbitrary depends on your viewpoint I
13 suppose.
14
15 > Maybe someone contributing to Gentoo will start working for a company
16 > which will require short disclaimer or HTTP link, ASCII art style
17 > notation... are we going to allow any of that just because someone says
18 > "My company requires that kind of attribution"?
19
20 This is a red herring and you know it.
21
22 All we are talking about is adding a single line copyright notice in an
23 ebuild. We are not talking about some company requiring fancy ascii art
24 or disclaimers.
25
26 William