From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-proxy-maint <gentoo-proxy-maint@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] GURU[-rise]: looking for volunteers
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 12:48:10
1 On Thu, 2019-04-11 at 10:08 +0900, Alice Ferrazzi wrote:
2 >
3 > On April 6, 2019 12:37:36 AM GMT+09:00, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 > > Hi, everyone.
5 > >
6 > > Some of you have read about my GURU idea already. For those who
7 > > haven't, a short description is included below. I'd like to start
8 > > a simpler demo for it, and I'm looking for people interested
9 > > in contributing.
12 > > GURU is meant to be something between Arch Linux's AUR and the past
13 > > Sunrise project -- an officially recognized repository made entirely
14 > > by users, with minimal supervision from Gentoo developers.
15 >
16 > Why making a new name? Betagarden or sunrise was not good enough?
17
18 Because using unique names make it clear that the projects are distinct.
19 I'm not going to use a well-known name such as 'Sunrise' to try to steal
20 Sunrise's past popularity for a different project.
21
22 > > Please note that the technical details haven't been decided yet.
23 > > The GURU repository will probably be hosted on Gentoo Infra (due to
24 > > need
25 > > for git hooks). I'm going to try pushing a bit more for our own GitLab
26 > > instance but if that fails, gitolite would probably have to be good
27 > > enough. In that case, I will be taking care of adding people on behalf
28 > > of others.
29 >
30 > Gitlab instance? We have a Gentoo official Gitlab instance?
31
32 We don't and so far nobody has really managed to push this forward.
33 The moment I heard people want to pay for GitLab SaaS instance for
34 Gentoo rather than hosting our own, I've decided not to push this any
35 further.
36
37 Also please fix your mail client not to send empty HTML attachments.
38 Some clients render your mails as empty.
41 Best regards,
42 Michał Górny